Updating DTS Package.

• Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to DTS, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I have a DTS package set up for transfering 137 tables from SQL 6.5 to what will soon be the new production server/db (which is running 2000sp3. The owners of the current production server have mailed me on a list of table changes that have been made on the source DB. How can I change the DTS package to reflect theese changes without double clicking on each individual unit in the package. In other words, can I get it back to the format of the wizard I used to set up the package without having to create the package again.

Hope that makes sense!

Rgds

Eoin

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Eoin,

I'm afraid that it is not possible to go back via the GUI and comprehensively update the columns selected in your DTS packages without doing it one by one.

Do you anticipate that your destination objects will already exist when you run the DTS package? That is, are you doing an INSERT or just creating them new on the fly?

I do think you have some options, though they are not pretty.

1. Write a new DTS package that scripts out the original DB in 6.5 and run that script against the new 2000 DB. I'm not sure if 6.5 allows you to include FK's and Indexes when you generate the DB script...Going from 6.5 to 2000 is tricky but I would think that all the SQL involved in your DB script is pretty standard.

2. If it is possible to link those servers (you must be running Active Directories if it is at all possible to link between 6.5 & 2000)...Write an SP that pulls that data over using a 'Select * INTO [NewTable] FROM [65Server].[DBName].[owner].[tablename]'.

3. I looked at scripting out your DTS into VBScript (Save as..), thinking that you might be able to dynamically alter that code, but what SQL creates in terms of VB is pretty ugly.

4. Many writers in the SQL arena suggest that upgrading from 6.5 directly to 2000 is fraught with some not insignifcant difficulties. Some go so far as to suggest that you should bridge this move by using 7.0 as an interim stop. Alot of changes happened between 6.5 and 7.0...

Sorry these aren't the slickest solutions...

Good luck...

ciao ciao

ciao ciao

• Cheers PJ,

I was reasonably pessimistic about my chances anyway. I have no choice but to due it this way as there is a couple of transformations involved and downtime has to be at a minimum.

Rgds

Eoin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply