Updated VS 2015 With Update 3, Now SSMS Won't Open

• Hoping to get a little advice here. I'm running Visual Studio 2015 and SSMS 2016 on my computer, everything has been working fine. I just updated VS with update 3 and now SSMS won't open. All I get is a ding sound and a quick flash on the screen, no errors or anything. Anyone have advice on where to start troubleshooting this mess?

Thanks

• cboneill181 (8/15/2016)

Hoping to get a little advice here. I'm running Visual Studio 2015 and SSMS 2016 on my computer, everything has been working fine. I just updated VS with update 3 and now SSMS won't open. All I get is a ding sound and a quick flash on the screen, no errors or anything. Anyone have advice on where to start troubleshooting this mess?

Thanks

I assume that you've rebooted?

Have you checked the installation logs?

Did you get any warnings / errors during installation?

Are you up to date with Windows Updates?

I am running the environment you describe and do not have this problem (though VS2015 does often crash the first time I run it after rebooting, and every time I update SSMS, it resets all settings, which is irritating).

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• try and do a repair of shared features of your 2016 install

• Thanks for the tips. I ended up downloading SSMS again and doing a repair, it works now. That chewed up about an hour. It's frustrating how tangled up they have SSMS and VS. This is the second time SSMS failed on me because of an issue I had with VS.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one annoyed by the environment getting reset whenever VS gets updated.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply