Updated SQL Injection

• I think that is a very good point. From what I have read an exists query is very cheap performance wise.

-least required priviliges

-least required data (collected or retrieved)

Dave

Trainmark.com IT Training B2B Marketplace
    (Jobs for IT Instructors)

• Dave: Thanks for the feedback!

• This is a excellent article and well written too. Very simple and easy to understand. Also thanks to people who added more value to this by commenting.

Regards

🙂

• One more article that doesn't even mention the simpler way of avoiding SQL Injection using both ADO or ADO.Net. This one came closer when it suggested using sp_executesql with parameters, but it implies that the programmer would have to have invoked the procedure explicitly. Both ADO and ADO.Net have built-in mechanisms for invoking sp_executesql (and it doesn't need Enterprise Library or other components). You just need to use SQLParameters.

SQLCommand cmd = new SQLCommand();

cmd.CommandText = "select * from test_logins where username = @username and password = @password";

cmd.Parameters.Add("@username", SqlDbType.VarChar,40);

cmd.Parameters.Add("@password", SqlDbType.VarChar,40);

cmd.Parameters["@username"].Value = Username.Text;

cmd.Parameters["@password"].Value = Password.Text;

The ADO/VB/ASP version is pretty similar.

Notice that, besides avoiding SQL Injection, that approach has many other advantages, such as validating string lengths, aumtomatically converting types, being easier to maintain should a column type change, etc.

It puzzles me how seldom it is mentioned in the forums and articles, and, therefore, how many programmers still concatenate parameters in their queries.

• Why not add a option to sql server to disallow multiple sql statements in one execution. (basically get rid of the ; in ad hoc queries). that would halt many of these attacks in it's tracks

• This was an awesome article that sums it up very succinctly. It was an excellent review for me and I am sending it to my team as well.

---
    Timothy A Wiseman
    SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/

• Pablo Emanuel (3/24/2008)

One more article that doesn't even mention the simpler way of avoiding SQL Injection using both ADO or ADO.Net. This one came closer when it suggested using sp_executesql with parameters, but it implies that the programmer would have to have invoked the procedure explicitly. Both ADO and ADO.Net have built-in mechanisms for invoking sp_executesql (and it doesn't need Enterprise Library or other components). You just need to use SQLParameters.

cmd.CommandText = "select * from test_logins where username = @username and password = @password";

The ADO/VB/ASP version is pretty similar.

Notice that, besides avoiding SQL Injection, that approach has many other advantages, such as validating string lengths, aumtomatically converting types, being easier to maintain should a column type change, etc.

It puzzles me how seldom it is mentioned in the forums and articles, and, therefore, how many programmers still concatenate parameters in their queries.

Isn't this precisely what is meant by using parametrized stored procedures? How else would you call one?

(Well except using a procedure name as command text instead of statement.)

something like:

cmd.CommandText = "doLogin";

set rs = cmd.excute

------------

create procedure doLogin

@username varchar(40),

@password varchar(40)

as

if exists (select 1 from test_logins where username = @username and password = @password)

begin

select 1

end

else

begin

select 0

end

Dave

Trainmark.com IT Training B2B Marketplace
    (Jobs for IT Instructors)

• AIM48 (3/24/2008)

Why not add a option to sql server to disallow multiple sql statements in one execution. (basically get rid of the ; in ad hoc queries). that would halt many of these attacks in it's tracks

Because it’s too useful for legitimate purposes. Suppose, for instance, you’re INSERTing a new record, and you also need to know the Identity value that was just generated for the new record (e.g. to pass an online registration ID# back to the customer, or to the PayPal payment). The only way to do so reliably is to request it immediately after the INSERT in the same batch of statements:

INSERT INTO myTable (various, fields, as, needed) VALUES ('various', 'data', 'as', 'needed'); SELECT SCOPE_IDENTITY();

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply