update using a wildcard. Thank

• an com thôi

ai r?nh thì an com tru?c di

• This topic was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  Anatoliaad.
  • From Google Translate

Is it possible to update values based on wildcards? For example, I have many days in the database formatted with different criteria and I want them all to be MM / DD / YYYY. To make things a little different, the value inside this field can represent anything, not just a day. I want to only update the values kept on the wrong format.
    So I made a query:
    choose the distinct IndexFieldText from dbo.DocumentField in which IndexFieldText like '% / _ /%'
    This will only bring the date values to a single digit.

I can update these values by using the update query with a wildcard, such as:
    update dbo.tablename set IndexFieldText = '% / 0 _ /%' where IndexFieldText is like '% / _ /%'

No, you cannot use the wildcards in the update.

• If that Google translate is to be relied on, your statement about changing the format of your dates is a little confusing. You don't store the format of a date in SQL Server, they are stored as a binary values; your presentation layer then does the formatting. You can't change the format of a date in the data.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Sunday, March 10, 2019 5:54 AM

If that Google translate is to be relied on, your statement about changing the format of your dates is a little confusing. You don't store the format of a date in SQL Server, they are stored as a binary values; your presentation layer then does the formatting. You can't change the format of a date in the data.

Based on this statement, I take it to be an EAV table, where the Attribute Value is stored as a varchar.

To make things a little different, the value inside this field can represent anything, not just a day

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply