Update table using procedure - Help

• Hi,

Please run this query in a new window. This will give 2,3 as result. Now i need to update the procedure output (results : 1) to the table as mentioned as (******) in the below query. Is it possible. Is there any way that we can do that?

P.N : NO FUNCTIONS (as the tables might go heavy)

create proc usp_temp111

as

begin

set nocount on

select 1 as Number

end

go

create table #temp(uid int)

insert #temp select 2

insert #temp select 3

select * from #temp

--update #temp set uid = exec usp_temp111 -----*********

drop table #temp

go

drop proc usp_temp111

Thanks in advance

"I Love Walking In The Rain So No One Can See Me Crying ! " ~ Charlie Chaplin

• It really is not clear what you are trying to do. Please review the article I link to in my signature and post some samples that we can work with.

Jeffrey Williams
    β€œWe are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi

I confirm Jeffrey. As your sample data are shown the usual answer MUST be a scalar function. Could you please explain what you want to do?

Greets

Flo

• hi,

try using output variable in usp_temp111

then use a variable in the below query(entered by you), store that output in that variable and update.

πŸ™‚

• jchandramouli (4/21/2009)

Hi,

Please run this query in a new window. This will give 2,3 as result. Now i need to update the procedure output (results : 1) to the table as mentioned as (******) in the below query. Is it possible. Is there any way that we can do that?

P.N : NO FUNCTIONS (as the tables might go heavy)

Thanks in advance

There are two common means of capturing the output from a stored procedure; into an existing table (INSERT INTO table EXEC proc), and by using output variables as suggested in the post above. Can you explain a little more about what you're trying to do?

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Interesting problem. I tried the following options

DECLARE @Z INT

SET @Z = (EXEC USP_TEMP111) ---> this does not work. Sql server throws an error saying incorrect syntax near the keyword EXEC. To me it seems clear that the scalar output of the exec sp should be assignable to a variable.

update #temp

set uid = @Z

I am unable to get the output of the stored procedure in a variable. Can somebody help me understand how to assign output of an sp into a variable. Thanks

Insert into #temp

exec usp_temp111

works perfectly alright though.

Saurabh Dwivedy

My Blog: http://tinyurl.com/dwivedys

For better, quicker answers, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Be Happy!
  • saurabh.dwivedy (4/25/2009)

Interesting problem. I tried the following options

DECLARE @Z INT

SET @Z = (EXEC USP_TEMP111) ---> this does not work. Sql server throws an error saying incorrect syntax near the keyword EXEC. To me it seems clear that the scalar output of the exec sp should be assignable to a variable.

The return value of a procedure can be assigned to a variable, like this

CREATE PROCEDURE TestReturn

AS

RETURN 42

GO

DECLARE @rc int

EXEC @rc = TestReturn

SELECT @rc -- 42

However I suspect that's not what you want as the return value must be an int and is usually used to signal success or failure. You might be able to use an output parameter

CREATE PROCEDURE TestOutput @OutputValue VARCHAR(10) OUTPUT

AS

SET @OutputValue = 'Hi'

GO

DECLARE @o varchar(10)

EXEC TestOutput @o OUTPUT

SELECT @o -- Hi

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you Gail: As evidenced in countless other posts on this forum, your explanations are crisp and insightful.

I'd like to summarize the learnings and propose further questions, if I may:

1) The output of a procedure cannot be assigned to a user variable using the SET command - ex

SET @Z = [exec procedure] name does NOT work;

I would like to still understand this in a bit more detail - Why does it not work?

Is it because I specifically need to code either a RETURN statement or specify an OUTPUT variable in the procedure?

Because ideally I am invoking the same principle that is generally applied in SQL anywhere...viz "the property of closure", something which forms the basis of nested statements as well (selects within select and so on). May be I am not aware of the exact term (is it the "closure property" or something else) but I hope you get what i am trying to say.

To elaborate a bit more: This is how I read the statement (in accordance with the "closure property")

if Set @z = 10 a straight numerical assignment can work, why can't

set @z = exec procname work?

2) What is the fundamental difference between

exec @x = procname

and

set @x = exec procname. Is there a difference really or should I just take it as syntactical peculiarity that I just need to follow - no questions asked.

I hope you can shed some light and clear my doubts.

Saurabh Dwivedy

Be Happy!

I would like to still understand this in a bit more detail - Why does it not work?

Because it's not valid syntax. Nothing fancier than that.

Is it because I specifically need to code either a RETURN statement or specify an OUTPUT variable in the procedure?

No. I showed you how return and output parameters work. Regardless of what you specify in the procedure, SET variable = Exec Proc does not work. It is not valid SQL Server syntax

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ok. Thanks!

Saurabh Dwivedy

Be Happy!

Because ideally I am invoking the same principle that is generally applied in SQL anywhere...viz "the property of closure", something which forms the basis of nested statements as well (selects within select and so on). May be I am not aware of the exact term (is it the "closure property" or something else) but I hope you get what i am trying to say.

To elaborate a bit more: This is how I read the statement (in accordance with the "closure property")

exec @x = procname

and

set @x = exec procname. Is there a difference really or should I just take it as syntactical peculiarity that I just need to follow - no questions asked.

It doesn't work because it's invalid syntax. Could there possibly be more to it than that? Is sql a mile wide and an inch deep? πŸ™‚ Your asking a question, a good question, about the fundamental nature of sql. And as Joe Celko is fond of saying sql really stands for Scarcely Qualifies as a Language :-). The short answer as to why set @x = exec procname can't work is because at runtime sql doesn't recognize the procedure as anything more than..well syntax. It doesn't recognize the proc as a 'type' like an integer or string. In other words it doesn't realize the result of a procedure as a type at runtime. This is one of the fundamental differences between sql and a relational database. A relational db recognizes the procedure as a variable with a type of what the procedure is supposed to return. A relational system in this case would realize (at runtime) a variable with name procname and (if the procedure returned an integer) and a value with scalar type integer. This is why you can't select from a procedure in sql. You can't select from syntax πŸ™‚ You have to select from something the system recognizes as a type. In a relational system the proc is recognized as a variable with a type of table so you can select from it. These concepts are more fully explored here:

'What is a stored procedure?'

http://beyondsql.blogspot.com/2007/11/basic-anatomy-of-sql-server-part-i.html

'The unit test as part of the database'

http://beyondsql.blogspot.com/2007/11/basic-anatomy-of-sql-server-part-ii.html

'What does deferred name resolution really mean?'

http://beyondsql.blogspot.com/2007/11/basic-anatomy-of-sql-server-part-iii.html

Note that sql functions are a way of faking the idea of a type at runtime. But like procs they are not really recognized by the system as a real type. They don't call it impedance mismatch for nothing πŸ™‚

As for closure it's broadly speaking the idea of pipelining expressions. One expression serving as the input to another. It's easier to understand in a system that has an algebra as opposed to a calculus like sql. Besides sql procs break whatever closure sql has obviously. Closure is a basic idea in a relational system which supports an algebra and types all expressions (ie. tables).

Here is the problem of the op as it appears in a relational system.

create session table temp

{

uid:Integer,

key{uid}

};

//Variables support assignment and that includes tables

//as variables. The type is table{uid:Integer}.

temp:=table{row{2 uid},row{3}};

select temp;

/*

uid

---

*/

create session operator usp_temp111():Integer

begin

result:=1;

end;

select usp_temp111();//1

//What is the type of usp_temp111()?

select usp_temp111() is Integer; //True, it's a variable of type integer.

update temp set {uid:= usp_temp111()} where uid=2 ;

//Note we can only update 1 row to the value of usp_temp111() because

//otherwise it would cause a primary key violation.

select temp;

/*

uid

---

*/

best,

steve

www.beyondsql.blogspot.com

• steve dassin (4/26/2009)

saurabh.dwivedy (4/25/2009)

exec @x = procname

and

It doesn't work because it's invalid syntax. Could there possibly be more to it than that? Is sql a mile wide and an inch deep? πŸ™‚ Your asking a question, a good question, about the fundamental nature of sql. And as Joe Celko is fond of saying sql really stands for Scarcely Qualifies as a Language :-). The short answer as to why set @x = exec procname can't work is because at runtime sql doesn't recognize the procedure as anything more than..well syntax. It doesn't recognize the proc as a 'type' like an integer or string. In other words it doesn't realize the result of a procedure as a type at runtime. This is one of the fundamental differences between sql and a relational database. A relational db recognizes the procedure as a variable with a type of what the procedure is supposed to return. A relational system in this case would realize (at runtime) a variable with name procname and (if the procedure returned an integer) and a value with scalar type integer. This is why you can't select from a procedure in sql. You can't select from syntax πŸ™‚ You have to select from something the system recognizes as a type. In a relational system the proc is recognized as a variable with a type of table so you can select from it. These concepts are more fully explored here:

'What is a stored procedure?'

http://beyondsql.blogspot.com/2007/11/basic-anatomy-of-sql-server-part-i.html

'The unit test as part of the database'

http://beyondsql.blogspot.com/2007/11/basic-anatomy-of-sql-server-part-ii.html

'What does deferred name resolution really mean?'

http://beyondsql.blogspot.com/2007/11/basic-anatomy-of-sql-server-part-iii.html

Note that sql functions are a way of faking the idea of a type at runtime. But like procs they are not really recognized by the system as a real type. They don't call it impedance mismatch for nothing πŸ™‚

As for closure it's broadly speaking the idea of pipelining expressions. One expression serving as the input to another. It's easier to understand in a system that has an algebra as opposed to a calculus like sql. Besides sql procs break whatever closure sql has obviously. Closure is a basic idea in a relational system which supports an algebra and types all expressions (ie. tables).

Here is the problem of the op as it appears in a relational system.

create session table temp

{

uid:Integer,

key{uid}

};

//Variables support assignment and that includes tables

//as variables. The type is table{uid:Integer}.

temp:=table{row{2 uid},row{3}};

select temp;

/*

uid

---

*/

create session operator usp_temp111():Integer

begin

result:=1;

end;

select usp_temp111();//1

//What is the type of usp_temp111()?

select usp_temp111() is Integer; //True, it's a variable of type integer.

update temp set {uid:= usp_temp111()} where uid=2 ;

//Note we can only update 1 row to the value of usp_temp111() because

//otherwise it would cause a primary key violation.

select temp;

/*

uid

---

*/

best,

steve

www.beyondsql.blogspot.com

Thank you Steve for your insightful explanation. I almost get a feeling that people here thought that I am really hell-bent on having an explanation afterall. In fact I had mentioned that I need an explanation only if one exists else i am content with taking it as a syntactical requirement.

Your explanation however explained the fundamental manner in which Relational Algebra and SQL calculus differ and how it impacts the applicability of the closure property in relation to SQL. Naively enough I used to think that the basis behind SQL was mainly the relational algebra itself and not so much the calculus which is why I asked the question.

Thanks again.

Regards

Saurabh Dwivedy

Be Happy!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply