update stats job run every hour

• we used dynatrace and it points to a large table inserts slow or failed time out, its an old .net , sql server application moved to the latest Azure ,

when I run exec sp_updatestats , dynatrace looks normal.

Should I keep running exec sp_updatestats every 1 hour through sql job  ?any one experienced this?

It takes 3 min to complete ?

• slow inserts are USUALLY caused by either slow network connection between the client machine and the database OR poor indexing strategy on the table OR stored procedure for the insert is too complex.

As for updating stats every hour, I would only do that if this is a short term thing. If it is for long term usage, I would review what is slow. Load up an XE session and do some real-world timing analysis on the SQL queries to determine where the slowness is.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply