Update statistics - related errors?

• Windows Server 2003, no SP, on 2 node MSCS Cluster, Single instance SQL Server 2K sp3a.

Every morning at 06.00 AM a job run "Exec SP_Updatestats" on every database.

Sunday morning something was wrong and we received the following errors on the Windows Application Event Log:

17066 :

SQL Server Assertion: File: <recbase.cpp>, line=1378

Failed Assertion = 'm_offBeginVar < m_SizeRec'.

18052 :

Error: 3624, Severity: 20, State: 1.

17066 :

SQL Server Assertion: File: <R:\sql\ntdbms\storeng\drs\include\record.inl>, line=1447

Failed Assertion = 'm_SizeRec > 0 && m_SizeRec <= MAXDATAROW'.

Error: 0, Severity: 19, State: 0

SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 61 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process.

Error: 5180, Severity: 22, State: 1

Could not open FCB for invalid file ID 65396 in database 'tempdb'.

17310 :

SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 2424 generated fatal exception c000001d EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION. SQL Server is terminating this process.

17310 :

process_commands: Process 2424 generated fatal exception c000001d EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION. SQL Server is terminating this process.

Error: 0, Severity: 19, State: 0

language_exec: Process 62 generated an access violation. SQL Server is terminating this process.

Error: 605, Severity: 21, State: 1

Attempt to fetch logical page (1:84159) in database 'MulteDisciplinari' belongs to object '-1538627214', not to object 'GeneriTarga'.

Error: 605, Severity: 21, State: 1

Attempt to fetch logical page (1:84155) in database 'MulteDisciplinari' belongs to object '-1962898688', not to object 'ColoriVeicolo'.

The next mornig (yesterday) the same "Update statistics" job succeed, no errors generated.

DBCC checkdb do NOT report any errors on Database MulteDisciplinari.

SQLdump*.txt are also available to you if you need it.

Please advise.

Cheers

Franco

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I ran a search on the MS site and it looks like you may be behind on a service pack or two.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825197

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330307

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hi there.

If you are getting these sort of errors, with no physical errors deteced, check out this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826433

It mentions Lost Writes and Stale Reads which could be causing the problem. It advises changing the caching settings on you servers. Definately check the article. I'm hitting similar problems and trying everything I can. Having to repair the database regularly in between restoring it every now and then. Getting approximately 25 000 consistency errors every 2 days, Backup, Restore, Repair. 2 days later the same problem comes back... Oh Joy... Busy trying cache settings. If that doesn't work I'm lost...

• I experienced transient 605 errors in the past (with subsequent DBCC CHECKDB showing no errors) on one of my servers. What in the end resolved the issue was the update of controller firmware and drivers to the latest versions (it was Compaq MSA 1000 array). It was probably Stale Read condition as described in the mentioned article.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply