Update sql server 2005 standard to enterprise edition

• My memory may be faulty - but I didn't think you could just upgrade Windows 2003 from 32 to 64-bit. I was under the assumption you had to "wipe and start over".... I don't think your issue is SQL's install at all....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I guess what I am looking for is a to-do list for re-installing SQL Server 2005 configuration/components. I am letting our Sys-Admins and various outside consultants worry about what is or is not possible with re-installing the OS as 64bit.

Thanks

• isd83 (3/4/2008)

Has anyone tried the SKUUPGRADE=1 on upgrading sql 2005 cluster from standard edition to Enterprise edition? Any information would appreciated. Thanks.

It goes without saying you should first validate that the system is ready for the upgrade (backups are good, no errors, cluster working fine, account permissions are good, etc...), general best practices - ya know.

Then ...

Check this document: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=818234dc-a17b-4f09-b282-c6830fead499&displaylang=en

Start at page 61, however - kick off the upgrade process via the command line on the active node (group owner):

"setup.exe SKUUPGRADE=1"

Follow the white paper from page 61 on.

Then, on the passive node, if you need to upgrade any non-clustered components, run the following (after the cluster has been upgraded):

"setup.exe SKUUPGRADE=1 PASSIVE=1"

Then, apply Service Pack to the cluster (see page 89 of the white paper). AFTER the SP install on the cluster, apply SP on the passive node if you have non-clustered things that need to be upgraded there.

I was not able to apply this upgrade without downtime.

I did reboot both nodes after the edition upgrade, and again after the service pack install - even though I was not instructed to do so by the install.

1) edition upgrade active node

2) edition upgrade passive node (non-clustered items only)

3) reboot

4) service pack 2 active node

5) service pack 2 passive node (non-clustered items only)

6) reboot

Good luck.

• Boris Goldshmit (3/14/2008)

Just out of curiosity, what prompted your companies to move up from standard to enterprie edition?

I am trying to convince a major client (3000+ users, very data-intensive business) to not try to save money on the Sql Server version and go directly to Enterprise, but the lack of technical sophistication and full grasp on the amount of processing that this business is going to generate stands in the way.

I need some serious arguments to generate some knee-jerk reaction and save them and us serious headache and potential problems in production.

The only reason we went with the enterpise version was an IBM driver needed to connect to the DB2 databases would not install on any other version. We are running the SQL Server on windows server 2003 and Microsoft documentation stated that this was the only version on which the driver could be installed.

Q

Please take a number. Now serving emergency 1,203,894

• I do not think you can perform online reindexing in standard edition. You would need to upgrade to enterprise.

• I'm flabbergasted: many respondents give advice on SQL2005=>SQL2008 upgrade; another 1 gives advice on a Cluster installation... The discussion is about SQL2005SE to SQL2005EE, are we?!?

I really wonder what finally happened; did the OP succeed with this "setup.exe SKUUPGRADE=1"? I am under the impression, that this is for an upgrade to SQL2008...

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• I do apologise. I do not wish to 'flabbergast ' any one. post withdrawn.

• I agree with Hans, this original post was about updating SQL 2005 Standard Edition to SQL 2005 Enterprise edition. Its nothing to do with Upgrading a whole SQL Server version from 2005 to 2008!

Please read the post properly people...your Upgrade questions may be better suited (and more quickly answered) in a another thread

• Did the OP got the answer ?

SQL 2005 Standard --> SQL 2005 Enterprise??

Can any1 plz tell me the steps for that upgrade.

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply