Update single specific record by thousands of different users

• Wouldn't you have to arrange an asynchronous test to truly duplicate what is going on in production?

• robbemorris (10/12/2010)

Wouldn't you have to arrange an asynchronous test to truly duplicate what is going on in production?

Not sure what you mean.

I had SSMS opened and I had 5 connections running a loop for 2 minutes nonstop.

You could change that to had ms delays to simulate "real" use. Also you could increase from 5 connections to 100 from multiple machines if you wanted to.

• You may want to check your wait stats during a test to see what the delay is.

• My gut tells me to convert his process to inserting a record for each request and then running a scheduled job to get the counts and update tableA with a single update statement for each record.

You should do this. There are very few reasons where you would need to have a record updated several times per second in real-time. There will also be significantly less stress on the server.

• I'm talking about thousands of simultaneous connections and requests. A simple loop with 5 or even a 100 simulated requests won't raise the same kinds of issues with this much attention to the same record all at the exact same time.

I'm already moving forward with a different strategy. Thanks for everyone's input. If the moderator can close the thread, please do so.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply