update for SQL server 2019

• I don't see we have a SQL server 2019 forum, so will post from here.

Just try to install the first instance of SQL 2019. And I found for patches, it has the first patch, but called servicing update.

Anyone know is servicing update going to be the new term for patches of SQL server?

Previously we call it cumulative update for SQL server 2017.

Thanks.

• Don't believe "servicing update" is going to be the new term.  The URL for that particular KB still references the ability to install the next CU.

My guess is that this was an "oops" moment from MS, as it was released shortly after the RTM media.  Guessing something didn't make it into the master branch in time for the full RTM build and they just pushed it out as quick as they can.  Guessing the couldn't really call it a CU an hour or so after RTM release.

Also the 2019 forum is the vNext and the two SQL Server Version 15 sections a bit further down the board

• Anthony is on the money here. From Servicing Update for SQL Server 2019 RTM:

This Servicing Update for SQL Server 2019 RTM is a non-security GDR release. It is a supplemental patch designed to be installed after SQL Server 2019 RTM. After installation of this Servicing Update, you will still have the option to install the next SQL Server 2019 CU or GDR servicing release. This release will update the SQL Server and Analysis Services components of the following builds:

The Servicing Update payload mainly contains additional fixes required for the new SQL Server 2019 Big Data Clusters feature and there is a critical fix for SQL Server Failover Cluster named instance.

Emphasis mine. The KB was released due to an error in the RTM edition of SQL Server 2019. It would have been foolish for Microsoft to cause users to have to wait for the first CU (which i believe is due very shortly now) so a KB was released to fix the issue for users effected by it.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

The KB was released due to an error in the RTM edition of SQL Server 2019.

Like I said in a different post, new versions of SQL Server scare the hell out of me.  A lot of the "improvements" for the "It just runs faster" initiative in 2016 actually put the screws to me in many areas especially in the areas of TempDB and that bloody "Fast Inserts" change (which I'm finding out that most people don't even know about and then don't understand the major impact it causes even if they do know about it).  Thank goodness they also have Trace Flag 692 for the latter but they've given me no way to override the built in leveling of multiple files (does what TF 1117 used to do) in TempDB.  That and stupid things like forcing a sort in TempDB if you use SET IDENTITY INSERT ON, which crushes Minimal Logging attempts even though you've met all the criteria for Minimal Logging.  Of course, if you combine that with the file leveling, it caused my TempDB size to explode to the point of consuming all of a 100GB disk and then rolling back. <major facepalm><head-desk><head-desk><head-desk>

And then there was the Cardinality Estimator "improvement", which also killed us.  Thank goodness there was a way out of that, as well.

With all the extra stuff they're doing with "automatic tuning" and trying to accommodate people that don't have a clue when it comes to performance work, I'm already scared to death about upgrading to 2019 and then they have to do such an urgent repair of the RTM that it even precedes the first CU.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply