Unstructured Data

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Unstructured Data

• I work for a Large Financial and Banking company and I am struggling with the same thing. End users have read access to views and some tables in specific databases but what they do from there we cannot control. People will pull that data into Excel spreadsheets or even their own Access databases and then manupliate the data from there.

I cannot account for what the data looks like once it leaves our databases. Unfortunately, some end users and managers have come back to us and have told us that our data is bad when the problem is with what the end user is doing with the data.

There is only so much control that you can place on databases without making the end user accountable for what they do with the data.

• Oh good. We can finaaly all get together and write the MCP! :w00t: (a barefaced TRON reference)

"Give me a list of all customers in all territories that have either not placed any orders in the last 12 months or who have but did not order my favorite product." Memo to security, "Don't fret guys. I have my own handcuffs ready!"

Hey, if I don't point out the possibile absurdities in advance they are more likelyto actually happen.

There is something I sort of remember about NTFS. Hmm. From Helen Cluster's book I think. Ah yes. The NT File System is a database. There was some project at Microsoft to build SQL into the operating system.

SELECT content(0) FROM "C:\food\lunchmenu.txt"

When did I last update that?

SELECT LastUpdatedDate, LastUpdatedTime FROM "C:\food\lunchmenu.txt"

It actually COULD work.

ATBCharles Kincaid

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply