Unspecified error MS visual database tools

• Fix unspecified error (MS Visual Database Tool) in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Is common situation when a developer in the process of migration from MS SQL Server 2005 to 2008 try to get access to both databases from one Visual Designer tool. If you will try to display data located on MS SQL Server 2008 from MS SQL Server management studio for 2005 server you will get the follow error:

Unspecified error

(MS Visual Database Tools)

------------------------------

To fix this problem, just download new version of Management Studio.

• I am getting this error after trying to upgrade 2005 to 2008R.

It failed because it wanted for me to remove 2005 tools and when I cancelled it removed some tools, but I do not what tools it removed.

I think this has to do with 2008R not been tested properly.

2008R cannot work with 2005!

I tried then to remove 2008R (well the bits it installed), it seemed to uininstall properly but it is still there! I just cannot get rid of it!

I can link to my hosting company server where from I can create and design my tables but cannot use my own!

I will call Microsoft tomorrow morning, but I guess tech support will not know what to do.... as usual...

Microsoft used to be one of the best company for supporting developers but in the last 5 years the client care has dropped dramatically.

:hehe:

• Great solution found here: http://harshgupta71.blogspot.in/2013/02/the-specified-module-could-not-be-found.html

Essentially, delete the files located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSDesigners8

and then replace with the ones Gupta has available on his site.

I did this and problem was solved.

• Thanks a lot for Gupta's link. This did not only solve the database diagram issues but also solve my SASS "specified module could not be found".

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply