Unknown Report Version 9.0 with SSRS 2008R2 Report

• I'm getting the above error when downloading an RDL from a report on my SSRS 2008 R2 instance.  According to this link, it's saying this is a SSRS2005 report.  I don't understand how this can be.  Could it be that when we upgraded from SSRS 2005 to 2008, the reports were not actually upgraded?  If so how could they be running in SSRS 2008?  I'm trying to modify this report on our SSRS 2017 instance and according to the article this could be a quagmire to fix.

Del Lee

• Del Lee - Wednesday, March 14, 2018 9:55 AM

I'm getting the above error when downloading an RDL from a report on my SSRS 2008 R2 instance.  According to this link, it's saying this is a SSRS2005 report.  I don't understand how this can be.  Could it be that when we upgraded from SSRS 2005 to 2008, the reports were not actually upgraded?  If so how could they be running in SSRS 2008?  I'm trying to modify this report on our SSRS 2017 instance and according to the article this could be a quagmire to fix.

The error is generally due to whatever client you are using to modify and save reports and what is being set in the target server version. Are you using SSDT? What version?
    I'm a bit confused as you say you upgraded SSRS2005 to SSRS 2008, the reports are running in 2008 but you are trying to modify the reports on your SSRS 2017 instance. So those were never upgraded but they are on a 2017 instance? So they were never running on SSRS 2017? 

Sue

• Hi Sue:

To make modifications on the SSRS2017 instance, I am using Visual Studio 2017 with the SSDT extension, which I downloaded from here.  As far as I know, this is the current way to develop and modify reports for SSRS 2017 and there is no SSDT for 2017.  This (VS 2017) is where I'm getting the error when I try to run the report in the development environment.  The upgrade from SSRS 2005 to 2008 occurred 2 years ago.  I only brought up the upgrade from 2005 because the error is supposedly a 2005 error, but this is confusing because we are running the reports on a SSRS2008 instance and have been doing so in production for the past 2 years.

Yes, the report does run on 2008, which is our current production instance.  The 2017 instance has been prepared to replace the 2008 instance, and I've successfully migrated the report database to the 2017 instance (ie, the reports are working there as well).  I'm simply trying to familiarize myself with how to modify an existing report with VS 2017 since we have been using BIDS (2008) to modify reports until now - there is no project sitting around with all the reports in them - we have historically downloaded the rdl as needed to modify a report (with the old BIDS tool).

In short, even though I have reports successfully migrated to run in the new 2017 instance, there appear to be real concerns that it will not be trivial to pull down a  given report from the 2017 server and modify it with VS 2017 if we will get this error when we attempt to do so.

Del Lee

• Del Lee - Wednesday, March 14, 2018 11:59 AM

Hi Sue:

To make modifications on the SSRS2017 instance, I am using Visual Studio 2017 with the SSDT extension, which I downloaded from here.  As far as I know, this is the current way to develop and modify reports for SSRS 2017 and there is no SSDT for 2017.  This (VS 2017) is where I'm getting the error when I try to run the report in the development environment.  The upgrade from SSRS 2005 to 2008 occurred 2 years ago.  I only brought up the upgrade from 2005 because the error is supposedly a 2005 error, but this is confusing because we are running the reports on a SSRS2008 instance and have been doing so in production for the past 2 years.

Yes, the report does run on 2008, which is our current production instance.  The 2017 instance has been prepared to replace the 2008 instance, and I've successfully migrated the report database to the 2017 instance (ie, the reports are working there as well).  I'm simply trying to familiarize myself with how to modify an existing report with VS 2017 since we have been using BIDS (2008) to modify reports until now - there is no project sitting around with all the reports in them - we have historically downloaded the rdl as needed to modify a report (with the old BIDS tool).

In short, even though I have reports successfully migrated to run in the new 2017 instance, there appear to be real concerns that it will not be trivial to pull down a  given report from the 2017 server and modify it with VS 2017 if we will get this error when we attempt to do so.

Try downloading a report in a non-production environment (or make a copy) and then open and save it with the TargetServerVersion set for your server. I would guess it's saved as a 2005 version which is a different namespace.

Sue

• Sue_H - Wednesday, March 14, 2018 2:11 PM

Try downloading a report in a non-production environment (or make a copy) and then open and save it with the TargetServerVersion set for your server. I would guess it's saved as a 2005 version which is a different namespace.

Sue

I appreciate your suggestion, but it doesn't work.  According to this post, however, you can open it in BIDS 2008 and then save the RDL to convert it to 2008.  While this allows you to convert it to 2008 format (per the header in the xml), I'm now getting another error (researching it now).  The objective is, of course, to be able to use a current tool to edit the report in a current server, and there are 75 reports out there that potentially need converting.  This is pretty frustrating.

Del Lee

• Del Lee - Wednesday, March 14, 2018 2:28 PM

Sue_H - Wednesday, March 14, 2018 2:11 PM

Sue

I appreciate your suggestion, but it doesn't work.  According to this post, however, you can open it in BIDS 2008 and then save the RDL to convert it to 2008.  While this allows you to convert it to 2008 format (per the header in the xml), I'm now getting another error (researching it now).  The objective is, of course, to be able to use a current tool to edit the report in a current server, and there are 75 reports out there that potentially need converting.  This is pretty frustrating.

If you open a 2005 report in BIDS 2008, it will update to 2008 but it was also prone to errors at times. You can also open it in the older 2.0 RB and do a save and it will upgrade to 2008 but I do not know if it's any better than trying to use an old BIDS version.
    Opening a report in Report Designer in SSDT upgrades the reports to the current schema. I just did a few with old reports I found from 2008 and deployed to SSRS 2014. I don't have any reports older than that. But all of your reports will need to be upgraded to use any of the current tools.
    There are unsupported ways to upgrade programmatically using the API - it's not supported or documented too much so you'd have to figure it out yourself or see if you can find if someone has some sample code. You would use the UpgradeRDL method - 
    ReportObject Class

Sue

• I posted some feedback to the MSFT BI Team on this via email, and believe it or not, I got a response within a few hours!

The response was:

"The current workaround is to open the RDL in SSDT 2010 or 2013 and upgrade to at least the 2008R2 schema.

Based on how much feedback we get, this may be something we add to the toolset in a future update."

Del Lee

• Del Lee - Wednesday, March 14, 2018 7:29 PM

I posted some feedback to the MSFT BI Team on this via email, and believe it or not, I got a response within a few hours!

The response was:

"The current workaround is to open the RDL in SSDT 2010 or 2013 and upgrade to at least the 2008R2 schema.

Based on how much feedback we get, this may be something we add to the toolset in a future update."

Weird....you said that didn't work.

Sue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply