UNIONS

• Good day all,

It is newbie Byron here with another issue that I am sure you are all going to find very easy 🙂 So here it goes

I have 3 tables with the same column names warehousing stats for 3 different skill sets (this is a call centre question). What I want to do is sum up the number of calls offered per day, per interval for all 3 skillsets and to display as one result

I have read somewhere that union is what I must use but I am unable to get the query to do what I want. I would post what I have done but it is probably way wrong. Please could someone guide me in terms of what the query must look like, I will obviously replace the table names and columns with the correct names. The columns that I am using in my tables are

Date

Interval

Calls Offered

ACD Calls

Thanking you all in advance

Byron

Aban Calls

• It would be better if you post the structure of your tables and some sample data - the result set that you want to see... and I'm sure that somebody will do the best for you!

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• Query resolved. Will be a while before I post again as I obviously need to learn more before I ask for assistance. Dont even understand what I need to do with the code in the best practises tutorial

select date,

Interval,

sum(callsOffered) as "CallsOfferedTotal"

from (select date, interval, callsoffered

from dbo.??_13

UNION

select date, interval, callsoffered

from dbo.??_70

UNION

select date, interval, callsoffered

from dbo.??_71) tbl

group by date, interval

order by date, interval

• Ok for you information about UNION!

UNION - select distinct values or better to say removes duplicate values

UNION ALL - select all values available and much faster than UNION!

So, if you know that all records in your result set are unique with UNION, use UNION ALL instead (better performance and faster than UNION)!

Have a nice SQLing in the SSC forum!

😉

• Hi Byron,

It's a bit difficult to get the requirements you are after exactly right without seeing some test data / structures etc.

From what you have said though, it looks like you can get it done without having to use any unions. So just for fun:

--Test Data

--

select * into #Table1 from (

select cast(datediff(day,0,GETDATE()) as smalldatetime) as CallDate, 1 as Interval, 23 as CallsOffered

union all

select cast(datediff(day,0,GETDATE()) as smalldatetime) as CallDate, 2 as Interval, 30 as CallsOffered

union all

select cast(datediff(day,0,GETDATE()) as smalldatetime) as CallDate, 4 as Interval, 32 as CallsOffered

union all

select cast(datediff(day,0,GETDATE()) as smalldatetime) as CallDate, 3 as Interval, 18 as CallsOffered) as _int

--

select * into #Table2 from (

select cast(datediff(day,0,GETDATE()) as smalldatetime) as CallDate, 1 as Interval, 3 as CallsOffered

union all

select cast(datediff(day,0,GETDATE()) as smalldatetime) as CallDate, 2 as Interval, 6 as CallsOffered

union all

select cast(datediff(day,0,GETDATE()) as smalldatetime) as CallDate, 4 as Interval, 2 as CallsOffered

union all

select cast(datediff(day,0,GETDATE()) as smalldatetime) as CallDate, 3 as Interval, 1 as CallsOffered) as _int

--

select * into #Table3 from (

select cast(datediff(day,0,GETDATE()) as smalldatetime) as CallDate, 1 as Interval, 54 as CallsOffered

union all

select cast(datediff(day,0,GETDATE()) as smalldatetime) as CallDate, 2 as Interval, 82 as CallsOffered

union all

select cast(datediff(day,0,GETDATE()) as smalldatetime) as CallDate, 5 as Interval, 90 as CallsOffered

union all

select cast(datediff(day,0,GETDATE()) as smalldatetime) as CallDate, 3 as Interval, 12 as CallsOffered) as _int

--

-- Query

--

select isnull(t1.CallDate,isnull(t2.CallDate,t3.CallDate)) as CallDate,

isnull(t1.Interval,ISNULL(t2.interval,t3.interval)) as Interval,

SUM(coalesce(t1.callsoffered,0)+coalesce(t2.callsoffered,0)+coalesce(t3.callsoffered,0)) as CallsOfferedTotal

from #Table1 t1 full join

#Table2 t2 on

t1.CallDate = t2.CallDate and

t1.Interval = t2.Interval full join

#Table3 t3 on

t2.CallDate = t3.CallDate and

t2.Interval = t3.Interval

group by isnull(t1.CallDate,isnull(t2.CallDate,t3.CallDate)),

isnull(t1.Interval,ISNULL(t2.interval,t3.interval))

--

-- Clear up

--

drop table #Table1

drop table #Table2

drop table #Table3

--------
    [font="Tahoma"]I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams[/font]

• Thanks for that man 🙂

Much appreciated and thanks for the quick responses.

Cheers,

Byron

• byron.vanwyk (6/19/2009)

Query resolved.

Well I enjoyed myself, that's the main thing! 😀

--------
    [font="Tahoma"]I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams[/font]

• silly question but do you want to remove duplicate counts that occur in the same time period? Union and Union All may have different answers depending on your data

create table [dbo].[a] (mycount int, myperiod int)

go

insert into a values (10,1)

go

insert into a values (15,1)

go

select * from a

go

select * into b from a

go

select * from b

go

select sum(mycount), myperiod from a group by myperiod

union

select sum(mycount), myperiod from b group by myperiod

go

select sum(mycount), myperiod from a group by myperiod

union all

select sum(mycount), myperiod from b group by myperiod

• Nice code here Rob, you used some functions and joins and seems very nice alternative and somebody sure that will learn something else for the same thing!

• Thanks Dugi,

Although I was a little premature with the posting (I've heard it happens to everyone and it's not a big deal), the query should have been:

--

-- Query

--

select coalesce(t1.CallDate,t2.CallDate,t3.CallDate) as CallDate,

coalesce(t1.Interval,t2.interval,t3.interval) as Interval,

SUM(coalesce(t1.callsoffered,0)+coalesce(t2.callsoffered,0)+coalesce(t3.callsoffered,0)) as CallsOfferedTotal

from #Table1 t1 full join

#Table2 t2 on

t1.CallDate = t2.CallDate and

t1.Interval = t2.Interval full join

#Table3 t3 on

t2.CallDate = t3.CallDate and

t2.Interval = t3.Interval

group by coalesce(t1.CallDate,t2.CallDate,t3.CallDate),

coalesce(t1.Interval,t2.interval,t3.interval)

--------

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply