dt.depid

,dt.name

from dbo.department dt

UNION

select distinct

Ot.Ordid

,Ot.OrderName

from dbo.Orders Ot

i have 3 different select statements where i am doing union and inserting into table; How can i keep all the three select statements in a temp table and use temp table inserting into main.

while inserting into main table to avoid duplicates data which already exists in main table we should not insert again from temp table.

• To insert it into a temp table, just insert it into a temp table instead of into dbo.details.  once that is done, to put the values from the temp table into details excluding duplicates, just have a where clause on your insert.

something like:

CREATE TABLE #tmpTable (DetailID INT, DetailName VARCHAR(MAX))
    insert into #tmpTable (DetailID, DetailName)
    <your code from above>
    INSERT INTO dbo.details (DetailID, DetailName)
    SELECT DetailID, DetailName FROM #tmpTable
    WHERE #tmpTable.DetailID not in (select detailID from dbo.details)

With your code, I would recommend removing the "DISTINCT" as it is not needed.  It is already going to be a distinct list.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Why are you cramming Students, Departments, and Orders into the same table without any way to differentiate them?  They're completely different objects with completely different details.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• I dont think there are duplicates in your result set. However, You can use the below:

Select A.* Into #temp From (

<<Your code>>

) As A Where A.DetailId Not In(Select DetailId From dbo.details)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply