Unintended consequences (Oh sh!t moments)

• I firmly believe that one characteristic of good developers is understanding and being able to anticipate unintended consequences.  Today I experienced this in a fairly inconsequential thing, but my analytic mind took over.

I was entering an order for K-cups on the Keurig website, and got an error when finalizing the order saying my Mastercard was rejected.  No reason specified, just refused.  So I looked things over and tried again.  Same response, no reason.   Tried a third time, still rejected.  Digging deeper, I discovered that somehow the shipping address did not match my billing address, and had reverted to my old address before I relocated five years ago.  Couldn't the system have TOLD ME there was a question instead of simply rejecting my card?

Now during that five year period, I actually have had three instances of fraud on the account so the company has issued three new numbers, so maybe somehow my data has been patially rolled back.  And to their credit, they always covered everything with no questions asked.  Very good service.

Now the interesting part:  After getting my order placed, I got four emails that my account had been charged with no card present.   I logged into my CC account and find that there are now four seperate 'pending charges' today for the same amount, in the range of $114.oo each.

Of course, it's just k-cups.  BUT WAIT!  Suppose on the way home I stop by the pharmacy to pick up my blood-thinner pills that I've taken for twenty years to prevent heart attacks.  (This much is true)  Now suppose my credit card is refused because of poor credit and low limit with four pending charges for today.  (In reality, my credit report shows that each creditor currently reporting rates me as 'Exceptional'. )

Now I know my pharmacist is going to say "Just take the script and we'll talk later".  That's not the point.

Back to the original issue of exactly why I have four 'pending charges' for one transaction.  And when I talked to Keurig, their response was "well, you'll have to talk to your CC company".  My response was "And you'll have to talk to my attorney".

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• skeleton567 wrote:

Back to the original issue of exactly why I have four 'pending charges' for one transaction.  And when I talked to Keurig, their response was "well, you'll have to talk to your CC company".  My response was "And you'll have to talk to my attorney".

Back when I used to have a phone-based customer service position, I loved hearing people say this because our protocol was to immediately stop communication with and block the number of any customer who threatened legal action. Took a would-be complicated situation and made it very simple.

• Audionova wrote:

skeleton567 wrote:

Back when I used to have a phone-based customer service position, I loved hearing people say this because our protocol was to immediately stop communication with and block the number of any customer who threatened legal action. Took a would-be complicated situation and made it very simple.

Audi, I was being sarcastic in response to a very pathetic response FROM customer service.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply