Uninstalling SQL 2012 Native Client breaks Failover Clustering

• Is anyone aware of issues where uninstalling SQL 2012 Native Client breaks Failover Clustering?

We were recently asked to remove unsupported software from our servers and the list included SQL 2012 Native Client. Version 11 was installed, so we removed it from test & dev servers without any issues. When it came to the Live servers which are HA Availability Groups built on Windows Clustering, there were no issues... until we ran Failover Cluster Manager, then the cluster went down. Has anyone experienced similar issues? Is anyone aware of this being an issue? I have not seen any documentation from Microsoft, but it is clear from our subsequent testing that removing SQL 2012 Native Client breaks Failover Cluster Manager. SQL is running on 2017 and the OS is Windows Server 2016.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• I have not come across this issue, but my policy was to never uninstall software if I wanted the server to keep running.

The uninstall process often gets less testing than other operations. You always have the risk of components, registry entries, xml files etc that are shared with other processes getting removed.

Whenever I have been asked to 'tidy up' a server, I have always pushed back saying I am happy to build a new server with the desired components, but not prepared to risk the stability of existing servers.

Likewise I have always pushed back when asked to upgrade major components such as SQL Server to a new version. I simply cannot guarantee that if an updated server has to be rebuilt in the future that it will work the same as the old server.

I have seen too many issues where other people before me in the job did upgrades or uninstalls that caused issues some time later.

My advise is to chalk this issue up to gaining experience. Build a new guest cluster and install the software you need.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  EdVassie.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply