Unclean shutdown of both nodes in a sql cluster cluster

• Hi all,

Our Sql Server 2000 cluster running on Windows 2003 in an active/passive configuration (cluster services and sql services were both on the one node, nothing on the other node) shut down when our electricity supply failed and our backup generator failed very quickly too.

I am inexperienced in clustering and would like to ask what I might expect when the 2 servers come back up. Is corruption of the cluster a possibility since the resources were not cleanly offlined first?

Many thanks.

James M

• Hi James,

I would recommend only bringing up one node at a time. Usually if problems arise it's at the cluster. I never just let my servers come back up by themselves. I would rather bring them online myself. Start with node 1 and insure that SQL services are running as expected. look at your data, by running DBCC checkalloc and so forth. Then if all is well bring node 2 online. When the cluster goes down hard it is never a good thing but my experience is that you have a good chance of being fine. Post again and let us know how it goes.

• Thanks for your reply.

We got our power back and switched on node 1 and luckily there were no ill effects as you antipated. The cluster resources and sql resources were running happily. The passive node 2 came up happily as well unsurprisingly.

cheers.

James

• I love it when that happens!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply