Unattended SP3a Install does not update VERSION

• I've started doing unattended installs of SQL Server 2000 SP 3a.  I found out that @@VERSION or serverproperty('productversion') is still at 8.00.194.  It should be 8.00.760.  I've applied an additional fix which should make it 8.00.818, but its still at 8.00.194.

You might be wondering why this is a problem other than being very irritating.  When you try to restore a backup from a server showing the version 8.00.818 to a server with the same Service Packs but showing version 8.00.194 it will not fail because the DBMS thinks its from a different version.

The fix is to reinstall SQL SERVER in the same manner as the source of the backup. 

Is there a fix or work around to allow unattended installs for SP3a to set the correct VERSION?

David Bird

• David,

Are your unattended installs logging an error file that you can review?  I'm asking because it doesn't sound like the SP is actually being applied.  Another (maybe stupid) question, but did you reboot the server after the installation?  SP3a has to run in single user mode so if there are any other open processes when attemtping to run unattended, it will likely fail.

Another thing to consider is that no SQL Server files can be marked as 'read only' or the SP won't install.  The readme file included with SP3/3a has been updated and the details are available here:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330022

Hope this helps.  Happy Weekend! 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply