unable to take backup

• hello,

just yesterday, we got an alert that our backup job that i created in maintenance plans failed, the error code doesnt give me nothing to work with, it says:

Started: 7:44:32 PM

Error: 2020-09-02 19:44:35.79

Code: 0xC002F210

Source: Back Up Database Task Execute SQL Task

Description: Executing the query "BACKUP DATABASE [master] TO DISK = N'\\10.1.10.24..." failed with the following error: "BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

and it says that for ALL databases, i checked, no permissions were changed, i am able to use that account and go directly onto the server and folder for share, able to create a file etc., i did checkdb on all the databases, no errors, i tried to run a tsql backup, but got this:

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 3

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

AGAIN NOTHING,

i did find something interesting in the SQL server logs,it says:

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE test. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.

External dump process return code 0x20000001.

External dump process returned no errors.

Stack Signature for the dump is 0x000000010B820FF5

00007FF9E42654F4 Module(ntdll+00000000000154F4)

00007FF9E41113D2 Module(KERNEL32+00000000000013D2)

00007FF9A6581989 Module(sqldk+0000000000031989)

and of course cant read it, but something is not right... but dont know what... any thoughts or ideas? also all the databases are and have been in simple recovery mode... nothing has changed, this just happened randomly and is continuing to not work 🙁

• Getting stackdumps is not a good sign.

Have you verified the integrity of the databases (DBCC checkdb)

On what patchlevel is the sql server 2014 instance

As you work with maintanceplans, I assume you backup using the backup from sql server itself?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by  Jo Pattyn.
  • Did you ping the IP address to see if the address is still online?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Since you ran DBCC CHECKDB on all of the databases and also tried the backup using t-sql, I would check the windows logs for errors around the same time as when you get the dumps when doing a backup. Also in the dump info you posted, there is likely additional information. Look for the line: "ex_dump_if_requested: Exception raised" which is followed by major = <number>, minor = <number> which would give you additional error message number when you combine major and minor.

If you have a dump file you can use WinDbg to find the errors. If you've never used WinDbg before, you may want to try a preview tool MS has but it's been in preview for a few years so I'm not sure if it's decent or not and haven't used it yet. It does require a version of SSMS 16 or higher.

If you're interested in trying it out, the download link is: SQL Server Management Studio extension for Diagnostics

And here is a quick article on using it: Using SQL Server Diagnostics (Preview)

Sue

• To find out why a step in a maintenance plan failed - you need to view the maintenance plan history - not the SQL Server Agent job history.  To do that, in Object Explorer navigate to Management | Maintenance Plans and right-click the plan that failed, select View History.

In that history - open the failed plan and find the sub-plan that failed.  In that view you will find the actual error that occurred for that plan.

If you need further assistance after identifying the actual error - post the error here.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• @Siten0308,

Did you ever figure out what your backup problem was and how to fix it?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply