Unable to start SQL jobs remotely

• I am facing a strange problem the past 2 weeks. We have registered many servers remotely in Management Studio \ Enterprise Manager and manage the scheduled jobs from the local machine.

But now when I try to invoke a scheduled job remotely (in any server) in Management Studio, I get the error, "A transport level error occurred when receiving results from the server. TCP Provider error 0: The specified network name is no longer available" SQL Server error 64

I get a similar issue (the job doesnt start) even from Enterprise Manager. Other than these, there are no issues in managing anything remotely in my local machine. (Only not able to start the scheduled jobs remotely for any servers) I dont remember having changed anything in my local machine except that I have upgraded the RAM recently.

It would be great and I would be so thankful if someone can get me out of this strange problem, which I face in my office workstation running Windows XP Professional.

• This issue occurs even if I attempt to run the jobs remotely using sp_start_job.

The same jobs run without issues if I invoke them manually from inside the servers or from other servers remotely.

• Have you tried changing out the RAM back to the original chips and see if the problem still occurs ?

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• No, I didnt have the option to get back that RAM.

Still that problem had not been solved in that workstation, and no one who have seen it had been able to guess about the reason yet.

• First, you never execute anything locally. Even the connection to an instance on your local machine is a remote connection to the server service. SSMS isn't SQL Server. Every single instance you register is remote.

Second, this is a network level error of some sort. Your connection to the local instance might involve a different protocol, and might not go through your NIC. If you used LOCAL to connect, I think this is a named pipe connection and not a TCP/IP connection.

Can you execute other queries? Can you modify the other servers' properties? Can you run a job if you log into the remote server with RDP?

• Steve, Thanks for caring to reply for this one..

The problem is, I can run the jobs on any server from any other server connected using the TCP protocol (registered with name and SQL authentication).

But only on the machine that I mentioned, I cannot invoke any other servers' jobs, either from Management Studio or from Enterprise Manager/ Query Analyzer. But yes, I can run any other command such as BACKUP, ALTER, etc. Only thing is that it would not permit me to run only sp_start_job. Im wondering how this particular command alone can be blocked on a particular system (dont know if there is something of that sort in registry or if it has something to do with SQL Server / Agent settings).

• Was there ever any resolution or final word on this? I am facing the exact same issue it seems and this is the only post I have found that references this specifically.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply