Unable to start SQL Debugger due to RPC Error

• I'm running Windows 7 32-bit client using SSMS to Windows 2008 server running SQL 2008 R2 Sp2. Firewall services are disabled on both client and server, RPC service is running on the server. You can run the debugger locally on the server, but connect from a Win7 32 bit client machine and the same lovely message:

"The rpc service is unavailable".

I tried turning off UAC on the server as a guess as to what the problem is. I was able to open a Telnet window to port 135 to verify it was open.

Anybody have a clue what to check next? Do i need to fire up the windows fire wall to specifically open up the ports I need, isn't it enough to have it disabled??

• Manic Star (10/24/2013)

"The rpc service is unavailable".

UAC is not likely to be the resolution.

Has this ever worked for you before today? I mean, you said it works from the Server so that indicates to me that the things are running.

Make sure that TCP/IP is enabled as a Protocol in SQL Server Configuration Manager. Also, if you have an Instance, make sure that SQL Browser is running.

Regards, Irish 

• Ya i didn't have high hopes for UAC, but apparently it did work before. SQL Browser was turned off on this server, i turned it on, but still no joy.

This is the actual message I'm getting:

"Unable to start T-SQL Debugging. Could not attach to SQL Server process on <boxname>. The RPC Server is unavailable"

• We are using TCP/IP, named pipes are turned off, shared memory is also enabled. Everything is on default ports on this box.

• Found the problem! Altho Windows firewall was off, the firewall setting inside of F-Secure, which was a recent installation on the desktops affected by this error, was on!

Switched off the F-Secure firewall and voila, no more RPC not found errors. Happy Dance time!

• Ah, the curse of the Firewall.

Nice job!

Regards, Irish 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply