Unable to start execution of step 1

• I'm trying to create a backup plan and when I run it, I get the error:

"Unable to start execution of step 1 (reason: line(1): Syntax error). The step failed."

This is a simple backup database to file every tuesday and thursday plan. Using sa authentication.

Anyone have an idea?

• Line 1:

EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_create_subdir N'C:\SQL Server Backups\test'

If I run the t-sql manually it works (From New Query).

• Also note, this is running on vmware, so I don't know if this would affect it.

• I tried configuring the user for sql service service and sql server agent service as administrator but still not working.

I have this procedure working on my physical machine.

• Problem fixed by applying SP2.

• SP2 is already installed and in my case the problem occurred 'out of the blue'.

• Try this:

1. Go to SQL Server Agents\Jobs. Select job and click Properties.

2. Go down to Steps

3. Highlight your SubPlan and click Edit

4. Add a Backslash to the beginning of the path listed in the "Package" box

Thanks,

Rupashri

• Thanks Rupashri this worked for me.

This was driving me mad :w00t:

• Hi,

I had exactly the same problem - this just started occurring for no real reason. I added the \ to the start of the package as suggested and it has fixed the problem - many thanks !

My question though is - do you know why this has occurred - and how adding the \ has managed to fix the problem ?

Thanks once again.

• Hi,

Please let me know,how adding the \ Backslash to the beginning of the path listed in the "Package" box is fixing the issue.

Thanks,

Deepak

• Thanks its working!!!!!

• This post was very helpful for me as well, thanks very much for posting this solution !!

FYI - Am using SQL 2005 base ver. 9.0.1399

• Yet another reason I like this site. Worked for me also!!!

• Hi, I applied the same method of adding a backslash on the path and it worked when i ran it manually...it was suppose to run at 12am as scheduled the following morning but it failed, what could be the problem?

• Thanks for this, working great for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply