Unable to schedule a DTS package that I can run manually.

• I am trying to import data from a linux server to a sql server using the DTS package. It will run maually. However, it will not run if I schedule the package? I am running it from my desktop and scheduling it from my desktop. Please help.

T to the J

• How are you scheduling it, SQL Agent?  Who is the job owner?  Which account is your SQL Agent running under?  How were you logged in when you ran it manually?

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Is your computer running SQL Server?   How is the data imported?  Is the data source a file or a database on the Linux server?  If it's a file, are you using a mapped drive letter or a unc path?  Does the account that SQL Server runs under have the same mapped drive and/or access to the Linux server that your login does?  If it's a database, are the appropriate database drivers installed on the SQL server?

• Definately sounds like a permissions issue.  As above, look at the account that SQL Server is running under on the server.  It needs to have access to the Linux server and the files (or database) you are accessing.  When you run the DTS package manually on your desktop, is is running under your user priviledges on your desktop.  When it is run as a scheduled job, it is running on the server under the account used by SQL Server or SQL Server Agent (if different) and its security context.

• Since you are able to successfully run it manually, it should be the case of authentication.  You will need to run the MSSQLSERVER and the SQLServerAgent Services using an authenticated Domain Account.  Well, I had the same issue and this was the work around for me.  Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - MSSQLSERVER - Click the Log On tab and Select "This Account" and provide your domain access.  Similarly do this for the SQLSERVERAGENT.  Do not forget to restart your SQLSERVER and SQLAGENT services.

• Definetley a permission issue, it might not necessary be permissions with the sql agent, it could be permissions on the linux box if the DTS package has to get data from the linux box. Make sure permissions on both ends (agent & linux are ok).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply