Unable to save DTS Package after intalling SS 2008

• I am in the preliminary process of moving from SS 2000 to SS 2008 and have installed the Client Tools and SS 2008 Express. I also ran the migration wizard on the DTS packages to migrate them to SSIS. I have started using Management Studio to manage the production SS 2000 databases and the new SS 2008 database.

I needed to edit one of the existing DTS pacakages. I went back to edit the package with SS 2000 Enterprise Manager. It permitted me to edit it but when I went to save the package I got the error message "Error Source: Microsoft Data Transformation Servides (DTS) Package", "Error Description: The DTS host failed to load or save the package properly."

I assume that something got overwritten by the new installations, possibly in the registry, but I could find an answer when I googled for it. Any thoughts?

Steve

• steve block (4/1/2010)

I am in the preliminary process of moving from SS 2000 to SS 2008 and have installed the Client Tools and SS 2008 Express. I also ran the migration wizard on the DTS packages to migrate them to SSIS. I have started using Management Studio to manage the production SS 2000 databases and the new SS 2008 database.

I needed to edit one of the existing DTS pacakages. I went back to edit the package with SS 2000 Enterprise Manager. It permitted me to edit it but when I went to save the package I got the error message "Error Source: Microsoft Data Transformation Servides (DTS) Package", "Error Description: The DTS host failed to load or save the package properly."

I assume that something got overwritten by the new installations, possibly in the registry, but I could find an answer when I googled for it. Any thoughts?

Steve

I am thinking this is related to licensing because SSIS used for development in BIDS does not require instance, but since you want to edit existing DTS packages depending on what the packages are doing you need either the Standard edition or Enterprise edition. The no deployment developer edition is the same as the Enterprise edition.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• My original SS 2000 Client tools installed on my desk top are Standard Edition for a SS 2000 installation that I have full control of. I installed SS 2008 Standard Edition tools also on my desk top for and Instance of SS 2008. I am the SysAdmin for the instance but IT owns the Server. They did not want me to install AdventureWorks (for training) on the 2008 Standard Edition Server so I installed 2008 Express on my Server.

Perhaps installing the Express edition last caused a problem, I'm not sure. If so, what should I do to fix it?

Steve

• steve block (4/1/2010)

My original SS 2000 Client tools installed on my desk top are Standard Edition for a SS 2000 installation that I have full control of. I installed SS 2008 Standard Edition tools also on my desk top for and Instance of SS 2008. I am the SysAdmin for the instance but IT owns the Server. They did not want me to install AdventureWorks (for training) on the 2008 Standard Edition Server so I installed 2008 Express on my Server.

Perhaps installing the Express edition last caused a problem, I'm not sure. If so, what should I do to fix it?

Steve

That means it is not a licensing issue and I found this support article that may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917406

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I had looked at that article and I didn't see how it applied. I am not trying to edit it in 2005 (or 2008). I have gone back to SS 2000 Enterprise Manager where I always edited my DTS before with success.

I guess my next step is to reinstall the SS 2000 client tools and see if that fixes the problem unless you have some other thoughts. Maybe I'll try a Microsoft Update first in case there is a fix available.

Steve

• steve block (4/2/2010)

I had looked at that article and I didn't see how it applied. I am not trying to edit it in 2005 (or 2008). I have gone back to SS 2000 Enterprise Manager where I always edited my DTS before with success.

I guess my next step is to reinstall the SS 2000 client tools and see if that fixes the problem unless you have some other thoughts. Maybe I'll try a Microsoft Update first in case there is a fix available.

Steve

DTS 2000 and below comes with Redist see if you can install it in your local box and see of you can get 2000 personal edition from IT instead of only client tools.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• There were no Windows updates for Sql Server. I did re-install SS 2000 Standard Client Tools, just Enterprise Manager, and that seems to have take care of the problem.

Steve

• steve block (4/2/2010)

There were no Windows updates for Sql Server. I did re-install SS 2000 Standard Client Tools, just Enterprise Manager, and that seems to have take care of the problem.

Steve

Good that takes care of your immediate needs.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply