unable to register Sqlserver

• Hello,

I installed Sqlserver in my home computer.  The services are up.  But I am unable to register the server thru Sqlserver Enterprise manager.  I am getting the following error.

"DGNMCW21-Sqlserver doesnot exist or access denied Connectionopen"

Please let me know how to resolve this.

Thanks in advance for your help

Kala

• I got this message working with Beta 2.  What it came down to is that there was a different prerequisite that hadn't been met.  Make sure that IIS is up and available, ASP.NET has been registered, etc.  My gut tells me it's something silly like this.

• Are you sure your not running sql server in single user mode?  I've seen this error when I've had sql server running in command window under single user mode for some admin work.

How are you starting sql server?  Via command line sqlsrvr.exe ... or via SQL Service Manager applet in the taskbar?

Also, when you have a question like this its more helpful to you if you provide sql server version and os version information.

Something like Sql Server Standard edition (version number) and Windows 2000 Server SP?? build???? etc.

Peter Evans (__PETER Peter_)

• hi,

did you install SQL Server Service Pack 3. well, there is a problem with sqlserver service and the netlogon service of windows.

also after installing SP3 there is a hot fix that you must install

"SQL2000-KB810185-8.00.0859-ENU.exe"  look it up at microsoft site.

• Try using (local) for the name of the server.

• Hi,

I tired using local for the name of the server.  I am still unable to register.

I have installed SQlserver 2000 on my pc running on windows xp HOME EDITION and since I am the only user sql server is running in a single user mode.

Thanks

Kala

• In the register wizard for Enterprise Manager, it lists the SQL Servers that are available. 

Is yours listed?

What version of SQL Server did you install?

Have you installed any of the service packs?

If not, install 3A.  It has some additions to 3.

Did you install SQL Server to use Mixed Mode authentication?

Did you set a password for the sa account?

Are you trying to use the sa account to do the registration?

After you answer these, I may be able to help you more.

• Here are the answers to your questions.

In the register wizard for Enterprise Manager, it lists the SQL Servers that are available. 

Is yours listed?

No mine is not listed

What version of SQL Server did you install?

Sql server 2000 - 8.00.760

Have you installed any of the service packs?

No

If not, install 3A.  It has some additions to 3.

I tried installing.  But it gave me some severe error like

'An error occured during the move data process -145'

and the installer stopped the installation

Did you install SQL Server to use Mixed Mode authentication?

No.  Mine is Windows authentication mode

Did you set a password for the sa account?

No

Are you trying to use the sa account to do the registration?

No

I appreciate your help.  I am able to start up the services without errors.  Then why is it not recognizing the server?

Thanks

kala

• I do believe you will have to take it out of Single User Mode. I got this message myself but mine was because I forgot to start the SQL Server Service.

• I think the best solution is to remove SQL Server, reinstall it and then run the SP3a service pack to get it updated to the most current.

Also, you never said what operating system you are using.  If you are not using a Server OS, you will need to install the developer's or desktop versions of SQL Server.  The standard and enterprise versions will only work on server OS's (2000 Server and 2003 Server).  One more thing, SQL Server will not run on 2003 with out at least SP3.

• 1. SQL Server with Service pack 3 should give u a version number 8.00.859

2. u need to install SP3 why? for sql server to run in Windows mode only its service (MSSQLServer) has to work with another windows Service (NETLOGON). and this communication problems are really solved with SP3. that is why you cannot connect to the Server instance.

3. i should agree with raibeart ... u should know the version of the OS and its Service pack used... as there are many SQL Server Versions (there are 6 versions). and each has its own SP3A and this i guess the reason why u got the error message when u installed SP3A of SQL Server...

• os version is windows XP Home edition.

I removed the sql server and reinstalled the sql server 2000. Still unable to install service pack 3 for sql server 2000 on my system

Any help appreciated

Thanks

• But which version of SQL Server:

Developer?  Personal?  MSDE?

These are the only versions that will install on a non-server OS.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply