Unable to open Step output file

• Hi

I am running sql script inside job.But sql is not saving the results in the file which i specified('Unable to open Step output file').I tried same thing on different server, it works fine.Both are are 2008 R2.Is there any server level setting that i have to look at.On both servers i logged in as sa.

Any ideas why is it working on server1 ,but not on server2?

Tnx advance

• Got it.It works When i point the output file to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log\xxxxx.txt which is default location.I am still trying to find out why it does not work with other locations

• Maybe its a permissions problem? You could consider comparing the permissions of the working destination to the non working destination and seeing if there is a mismatch. When slinging files here and there I've often had to add permissions to a folder to make the processes work.

• How do you add permissions to a folder?

• Never mind.Got it

Thank you.

• Check the account that SQL Server and SQL Server Agent services are running under. Verify it has permissions to the folder. (SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows 2008 Server)

• Hi,

Came unstuck with this issue when using Ola Hallengren's excellent backup scripts. I have used this many time, but my issue was on a Windows 2012 server (non issue on 2008 R2 server) in that when setting the folder permissions it doesn't seem to filter down far enough, so I had to go in and explicitly give the SQL Agent service account write permissions on the \LOG\ folder. Issue solved. 😉

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • quackhandle1975 (4/23/2015)

Hi,

Came unstuck with this issue when using Ola Hallengren's excellent backup scripts. I have used this many time, but my issue was on a Windows 2012 server (non issue on 2008 R2 server) in that when setting the folder permissions it doesn't seem to filter down far enough, so I had to go in and explicitly give the SQL Agent service account write permissions on the \LOG\ folder. Issue solved. 😉

qh

This was my fix as well. First I tried adding our admin account to the local administrators group. This did NOT fix the issue. I added the admin account to the LOG folder directly and it worked perfect.

Thanks!

• quackhandle1975 - Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:52 AM

Hi,Came unstuck with this issue when using Ola Hallengren's excellent backup scripts. I have used this many time, but my issue was on a Windows 2012 server (non issue on 2008 R2 server) in that when setting the folder permissions it doesn't seem to filter down far enough, so I had to go in and explicitly give the SQL Agent service account write permissions on the \LOG\ folder. Issue solved. 😉qh

Hi, I hit this same issue. We have a service account configured.
    Do you know why only LOG folder has this issue?

The FULL backup and DIFF backup have no issues. Only the LOG backup have this issue !!

Thanks,
    Santhosh

Human Knowledge Belongs To The World !!

• It could be the way SQL Server runs on Windows 2012 Server, or Windows 2012 server itself, I don't really know.

Might be worth giving Ola a nudge to see if his latest scripts have a fix for this.

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply