Unable to open an Access 2003 db in Access 2010

• We have an Access 2003 database that we use to create project managment requests. It works fine in Access 2003, however if you try to open it in Access 2010 it first fails because the MSCAL.OCX control is not found. That one was easy to fix. Now it comes up with this error once the program comes up after trying to run the autoexec macro, and then terminate it;

databasename cannot find the you referenced in the Object Name argument.

Additional info. If I go int the modCurrentUser and add my username to it, the database will open and I can run the forms and do all the functions of the database. I was even able to convert to Access 2007 after doing this. If I remove my user name from the modCurrentUser, Save and recompile, then exit the database and reopen it will open correctly with the autoexec macro. Subsequent attempts to open the database result in the above error. Go back and modify the modCurrentUser module and then I can open again and run the forms.

I did not write this DB, however it has fallen to my hands to make it work for Access 2010, and I do not have much experience with VB Macros.

Thanks!

Retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, Consulting Systems Engineer, C# Programmer, SQL Beginner

• It would help to start the discussion by looking at the startup form and analysing the startup set of macros.

The best way to start this is to hold the SHIFT button down while opening the app and then open the startup form in Design mode.

Look at the start-up macros and consider what it is doing as it starts up.

It sound a lot like your startup form is looking at a specific username that does not exist. Some programmers use the Access 2000-2003 default user of Admin with no password, perhaps this is what is happening. Start by first asking about the actual code or macros that are being run from the startup form.

• I figured it out. The original creator, specified a username so that only that person would be able to exit the startup menu.

Remove the code portion that looked for a login. that solved it.

Thanks,

Retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, Consulting Systems Engineer, C# Programmer, SQL Beginner

• brian.cook (7/10/2010)

We have an Access 2003 database that we use to create project managment requests. It works fine in Access 2003, however if you try to open it in Access 2010 it first fails because the MSCAL.OCX control is not found. That one was easy to fix. Now it comes up with this error once the program comes up after trying to run the autoexec macro, and then terminate it;

databasename cannot find the you referenced in the Object Name argument.

Additional info. If I go int the modCurrentUser and add my username to it, the database will open and I can run the forms and do all the functions of the database. I was even able to convert to Access 2007 after doing this. If I remove my user name from the modCurrentUser, Save and recompile, then exit the database and reopen it will open correctly with the autoexec macro. Subsequent attempts to open the database result in the above error. Go back and modify the modCurrentUser module and then I can open again and run the forms.

I did not write this DB, however it has fallen to my hands to make it work for Access 2010, and I do not have much experience with VB Macros.

Thanks!

• RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• brian.cook (7/10/2010)

FYI, There are Macros and Access VBA. Macros and VBA are completely DIfferent.

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply