Unable to open 2008 file in 2005

• I have a 2005 development db that I accidently opened in an an instance of 2008. when I detached it from 2008 and reattached to 2005, i get the following error:

Attach database failed for Server 'P299PXH1'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------

The database 'PAR_WORK_IN_PROGRESS' cannot be opened because it is version 655. This server supports version 612 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.

Could not open new database 'PAR_WORK_IN_PROGRESS'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 948)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=948&LinkId=20476

When I click on this link I get the following instructions: "Modify these settings to work with the version of SQL Server in which the database will be attached.

I did not do anything in 2008 but I do not know how to modify the settings so that the file can be reattached in 2005, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Dean

• Once you attached the database to SQL Server 2008, it updated the file structures to SQL Server 2008 making it essentially a SQL Server 2008 database using SQL Server 2005 compatibility mode (90). If you need to move the database back to SQL Server 2005, you will need to export the data from SQL Server 2008 back to a new SQL Server 2005 database.

• Down grade using attach\detach may not work, here is the work around.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/46e3ecf9-6eab-4aa0-9453-11e7269efb6e

EnjoY!
  • Thanks, the backup/restore worked.

• dean gross (3/18/2010)

Thanks, the backup/restore worked.

Could you explain more what you did? A backup of a 2008 database cannot be restored on a 2005 server.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/18/2010)

dean gross (3/18/2010)

Thanks, the backup/restore worked.

Could you explain more what you did? A backup of a 2008 database cannot be restored on a 2005 server.

Ditto.

EnjoY!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply