Unable to load client print control

• Last week, we applied the patch (KB954607) to the SQL Server engine and our production report server. We did not have to patch any of the client machines for the specific issue of using the print control from the report server.

This patch has resolved the issue in our environment.

Thanks, Greg

• Thanks Bart!

This worked for us ! I just had to uninstall KB956391.

Thanks again!

V

• Thanks, Bart!

It worked for me 🙂

• Hi

as per your instruction i captured the .cab file and pasted in desktop but i cant able to find the Iuctl.cab file where can i locate the file . can u help to find out the path .

1. Download the .cab file and save it on your desktop.

2. After the file is saved on your desktop, right-click the Iuctl.cab file, and then click Open

3. Select all the files that are listed. To do this, point to the file list, and then press CTRL+A.

4. Right-click the files that you selected, and then click Extract.

5. Select a known location, and then click OK. For example, select the desktop.

6. Locate the file where you extracted it. For example, locate the file on the desktop.

7. Right-click the RSClientPrint.inf file, and then click Install.

Thanks in Advance!

urgent .........:crying:

Regards,

Sabarinathan.C

• Thanks guys - just the thread that I needed!

I applied KB954606 to our Dev server with success; then applied the 64 bit patch to our production server with equal success.

Thanks for all of the info.

Jon

• Hello,

I applied Service pack 3 to SQL server 2005 that runs in windows server 2003 with service pack2, Same problem "Unable to load client print control" message appear when a user tries to print. Looks like they did not include fix KB954606 in service pack 3.

KB954606 is a Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2.

What do we do if we have service pack 3?

Any one having the same problem with service pack 3?

Sam

• SQL SERVER 2005 SP3 is the answer. After Installing the SP3 get the cab File for client Print from the Reportserver Folder in the Programe files>MS SQL Server. Re-Register the dll in the client PC and you are good to GO.

• Doing manual things on the client side is not an option in our case. We have 1000's of private and corporate users using SSRS as part of a self-service portal. User competence span from "how do I close a window" to "I'll fix that", so there must be an automated way to get the updated client protocol to be recognized on the client side.

• I hit the same problem (application is MS CRM 4) , and the choice appears to be either bump the user privileges to super user or administrative rights, or perform an install in the domain login script that copies the files in the RSClientPrint.cab to the %WINDIR%\System32 folder and registering the relevant dll with the command

regsvr32 rsclientprint.dll /s

(domain login scripts run at elevated privilege)

To perform a manual install by creating a .BAT file, you can't use the RUN AS option from within Explorer to raise privileges, but you can set up another batch file that uses the RUNAS command to execute the installation .BAT file. This will save the hassle of adding the user to an administrator group, installing the DLL and then downgrading again.

Hope that helps

• Hi,

"Unable to Load Client Print Control" message when printing CRM v4.0 reports

Issue: When clicking the Print icon to print a CRM v4.0 report (in a SQL Server 2005

database) you receive the message "Unable to Load Client Print Control" and the report does not

print.

Cause: Windows Security Update KB956391, an automatic security update. Once installed it

causes the issue above with Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and possibly others. Windows

Vista machines do not appear to be affected.

Solution: Install the fixes below on the necessary servers and reboot each server.

CRM Server:

Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2005 Service Pack 1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=82833f27-081d-4b72-83ef-

2836360a904d&DisplayLang=en

SQL Server:

Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB954606)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4603c722-2468-4adb-b945-

2ed0458b8f47&DisplayLang=en#filelist

SRS Server (if separate from SQL):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4603c722-2468-4adb-b945-

Note - if the SQL Server and SRS Server are on the same box, you only have to apply KB954606 to that

box.

Again, restart the affected servers. The next time a client prints a report, they will be prompted to install a

new version of the view control. Just click install and the Print window will open.

• Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has been able to find a solution to this issue when running the reports on a terminal server?

I have installed the updates to SQL Server 2005 that have resolved the issue for our users who run locally on their computer, but we are still running into the "Unable to load client print control" error message when a user runs it from their session on the terminal server.

I have tried Kevin's suggestion of having the control registered through the domain logon script but it doesn't work for me. On the terminal servers it will work for a user with administrative permissions but not our normal users.

We are running SQL Server 2005 sp2 with all of the latest updates on a Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 x64. Our Reporting Services Server is the same machine as the SQL Server. For our terminal servers we are running a couple that are Windows Server 2003 SP3 x86 and a couple that are Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 and on all of them we experience the same behaviour for the end users.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am going nuts and it feels like I am bashing my head against a concrete wall.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

• Hi Bart,

There's a couple of Security updates that seem to break the print control. They are designed to protect your machine against rogue activex controls but obviously Microsoft never considered this side effect.

If you go to control panel | Add/Remove software and make sure the 'show updates' checkbox is checked, you can look for security updates 956803 and 956391 (mine were installed 15 Oct 2008) and remove them. The machine will need to reboot and you will get warnings about other software that may not work properly, just go ahead.

After doing this on my machine I was able to print from the Report Server again

I have removed both KB956391 and KB956803 from Reporting Server and rebooted the Server But still I have the same problem!! When a user click print option on the report, Activex Control asking to install & if we click install, after few seconds, its says "Unable load client print control"

We have the following Environment:

1)SQL server 2005 Developer Edition X64 with SP3 on Windows 2003 EE x64 with SP2---only Database engine is installed

2)SQL server 2005 Developer Edition X64 with SP3 on Windows 2003 EE x64 with SP2---only Reporting Services is installed (and the Report Server & ReportServerTempDb are on Database engine of above)

I removed both KB956391 and KB956803 from Reporting Server and rebooted But the issue DID NOT resolve.

Please advice

• Hi Narayana,

SQL Server:

SRS Server (if separate from SQL):

We have SQL Server 2005 with SP3 on both database engine & Reporting Services. I have removed KB956391 & KB956803 from Reporting Server But still we have the same print issue.

Please advice..

• Check your terminal servers and ensure they have the same version of RSClientPrint.dll as the Reporting Services server has. If it doesn't, you just need to copy that file to the terminal server and then the users won't get that error anymore. That's at least how it was fixed for us. Hope that helps.

PS If you have more than one reporting services server with 2 different versions, use the latest dll.

• I have the same issue but with the added complication of having SQL 2005 and SQL 2008 reporting services.

Logging on to a term serv with admin rights and clicking the print button installs the activex component. After doing this a standard user can print but it appears to be service pack specific.

Installing 2008 RSClientPrint appears not to be backward compatible for SRS 2005 but repeating the above for SRS 2008 installs the 200008 files along side so that both dlls versions coexist.

This all seems to be worked through the magic of the "downloaded program files" special folder.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply