Unable to install SQL Server 2016 Developer Edition

• I am trying to install SQL Server 2016 Developer Edition the message box "Please wait while Microsoft SQL Server 2016 completes the following operation", this is quickly followed by an error message box " SQL Server Setup Failure"  SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error: Exception has been thrown by the target of an  invocation. See image.

This error has also occurred when installing SQL Server 2019 Developer Edition but SQL Server 2017 Developer Edition installed completely.

Any suggestionsSQL Server 2016 install failure

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Sometimes there is some useful information in the installation log files. The default location is listed here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/view-and-read-sql-server-setup-log-files?view=sql-server-ver15

• I finally found the problem, when I downloaded both editions (2016,2019) they were .iso files. Not having a disk drive I checked what software to use to run them I found an article recommending Express Zip, this was causing the problem, I uninstalled it and used windows to mount the files, ran the installs and both worked fine.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply