Unable to Find the OLEDB Driver

• Hi

We are migrating the data from the Oracle to SQL Server 2008 on dev box which have operating system Window 2008 Server. The steps involved in this process are

1. Installing Oracle 10g EE for windows server 2008(64 bit) evaluation version.

2. Create a tablespace(XXX) and Users using Oracle 10g Enterprise Manager

3. Import the Dump file data into the tablespace created using cmd command

4. Create Schema of the Oracle Database(XXX) into the SQL Server 2008.

5. Use SQL Server 2008 Import & Export Wizard to import the data from Tablespace(XXX) created using Oracle 10g Enterprise manager .(Here we are using the Oracle Oledb driver to make connection with the Datasource (this Oracle Oledb driver is not coming in SQL Import & Export Wizard drop down after all these steps on the db server and hence the issue). The same has been used in the trail run we had done on the local machine but on server the oledb driver are not getting installed with Oracle installation)

Appreciate a quick response

Thanks

Regards

• Don't know if it's the same issue, but this happened to me and maybe could help you:

I had a SQLServer 2005 EE x64 with OLEDB driver (x64) for AS400: it didn't show up in Import/export wizard because SSMS is a 32 bit process and can't see 64 bit providers. If you run the wizard from command line (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\DTSWizard.exe) you should see the provider.

Hope this helps

Gianluca

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Thanks I will try the same and update you if it succeeds

• I look forward hearing from you.

Good luck!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Hi,

Sorry , no luck , my team on site says they tried but the OLEDB drivers does not get listed in the Import & Export Wizard.

Are we missing something?

Thanks

Ravinder 🙁

• Oracle have released x64 driver for Win2008 and Vista which comes with new data access, you must know that new Oracle override existing Oracle connection so it may take you a while to get this going but it is here. Check below for the Oracle 11g x64 driver for Win2008.

http://www.landoris.com/blogs/darrin/index.php/2009/05/finally-an-oracle-x64-client-that-works-on-vista-aka-getting-map-2010-x64-running-with-oracle/

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi

Thanks for the link , I will check it out on Monday and let you know the status .

Thanks

Regards

Ravinder

• It is the x64 driver for Win2008 but as usual Oracle decided to provide only for 11g which could cause you some problems because I know when I tried to use 10g client with 9i it blocked my 9i connection. All .NET developers have been waiting for Oracle to provide these binaries.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi ,

sorry it took me a while to download the 11g and install. I am able to see the drive in the ODBC data source Administrator window but when I go to the SQL Export and Import wizard I do not see the Data Source .

Any other pointers ?

Thanks

Regards

Ravinder

• That could be 11g is blocking your 10g connection the only way I know how to fix that is watch the Oracle installer and make sure your connections to your version of Oracle is open after installation. You must know I have checked my import/export wizard there is an Oracle .NET driver you could just use that.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi ,

We removed the 10g install by using the Oracle Installer and then physically deleting the directories and verifying the Windows registries. After which we installed the Oracle 11g.

Yet SQL Server 2008 wizard is unable to locate the OLEDB driver.

Thanks

Regards

• I have bad news it is bug so call Microsoft support for hot fix if there is any and add to the connect post below.

http://www.connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=453368

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks for point this out to me. I wil see if we have a MS contact person to deal with this ASAP.

Thanks

ravinder

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply