Unable to Edit .dtproj in VS.Net 2005

• I don't have SQL server 2005 installed on my local machine.

I have VS.Net 2005 Team edition for software developers installed version 8.0.50727.762 (SP.050727-7600)

When i try to open .dtproj on the above mentioned VS.Net 2005 edition it give me error "make sure the application for the project type .dtproj is installed". Please let me know if i need to install a separate version of VS.Net 2005

thanks

• When you install SQL Server 2005/2008, you can also install the Business Intelligence Developer Studio (BIDS) environment, which is essentially a set of templates that allow you to open and modify SSIS, SSRS, and SSAS packages. I don't know of a way to install these templates separately without going through the SQL Server 2005/8 installation, though you could do this and only install the BIDS components.

Licensing is another matter - I don't know if Visual Studio and the BIDS components are licensed separately. If licensing is an issue, you could purchase SQL Server Developer edition, which can be had for under $50.

hth,

Tim

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• i think we can edit the .dtproj without installing SQL server 2005. If we have Vs.Net 2005 team suite installed then it will let you modify / create new SSIS packages

• Actually VS2005 Team Suites require a separate download to get the DB pro edition features I know because I did it in 2007. In VS2008 you also need the GDR download to get all DB pro edition features in Team Suites which is what I am running now, you must also know Team edition is not the same as Team Suites so if you have Team edition the solution Tim posted is a cheap alternative.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7DE00386-893D-4142-A778-992B69D482AD&displaylang=en

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi All,

I'm getting below error when I'm trying to open an existing package in business development studio.

make sure the application for the project type (.dtproj) is installed

And getting below error when I'm trying to create new solution

object reference is not set an instance of an object

I googled it and found that I need to apply sp pack 1 or sp pack 2.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/thread/f89d78a3-fceb-4099-8b2b-51edd79f3eb2

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/thread/02f2eeb8-fade-4c60-8481-be3ece09a523

But I was not able to find it in the list of bugs fixed in these service packs...

Can anybody provide me any links that this a bug or some thing which has been fixed in these sp's or any other solutions for these error.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ram

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply