Unable to create CmdExec job steps

• Hello,

I am attempting to create a job on a server and am unable to select a job step to be an Operating System Command (CmdExec). My only option in the Type drop down menu on the Edit Job Step box is: Transact SQL-Script (TSQL).

All of my other servers with the same build and service packs have the option to select CmdExec types.

Does anyone know why I do not have any other option in my Type drop down menu?

Thanks very much!

Melanie

• Haven't seen this. What SQL Version/SP?

I suspect a bad install. Or perhaps rights. Under what account does SQLAgnet run?

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply. We're running SQL Server 2000 with SP2. I'll confirm the Agent's login permissions. And see if it's anything at that level.

Thanks!

Melanie

• Check SQL server agent propoerties. Under JOb system Tab, There is an option for 'Only users with Sysadmin Privileges can execute CmdExec and Active Scripting job steps'- see if this is checked, seems like if this is checked then you won't have this option in your job steps.

• Hello,

The login running the agent is a member of the sysadmin role.

The installation might be a bad one, since when I open maintenance packages, I am immediately asked if I want to save my changes, though no changes were made.

I ended up creating the job using sp_add_job and sp_add_jobstep. The job ran successfully.

Thanks,

Melanie

• It may be a bad install, however, here's a question: On the NT side, is the SQL Server Agent service account a member of the local administrators group?

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/shop/product.asp?ProductID=NI-SQL1

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Hello,

Yes, the login that is used for the SQL Server Agent is a member of the system administrators group of the server.

We may just end up reinstalling SQL Server.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Melanie

• I would try reinstalling just the client utilities instead of whole server first.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I had the same problem. After a while this behaviour shows up. You only have to stop/start sqlserveragent to fix it.

• quote:

Hello,

I am attempting to create a job on a server and am unable to select a job step to be an Operating System Command (CmdExec). My only option in the Type drop down menu on the Edit Job Step box is: Transact SQL-Script (TSQL).

All of my other servers with the same build and service packs have the option to select CmdExec types.

Thanks very much!

Melanie

• quote:

Hello,

Try updating your permissions...

Thanks very much!

Melanie

• Hello,

Stopping/Restarting the SQL agent solved this problem and provided me with other Step Type options. Thank you very much.

Melanie

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply