Unable to connect to Analysis Services

• Using SQL Server 2008 R2.

Cannot connect to Analysis Services from SSMS on my PC(I can using BIDS from my PC). I am also getting the same error when attempting to connect to the Analysis Services server from Excel 2010 using the Data Connection Wizard(from my PC).

I get the following (time out) error:

"the following system error occurred: a connection attempt failed because the connected party did not respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because host has failed to respond."

If I remote desktop into the server with the same ID I am able to connect from SSMS & BIDS.

Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Thanks.

• Can I check that you have SSMS R2 installed on your local machine (version 10.50.1600.1 or greater), though I dont know why that would stop you connecting via Excel 2010, unless its a driver problem.

Something you wouldnt experience when connected directly to the server as it would have all the correct tools installed.

• You don't need the full install, just the client components. It could be a port/firewall issue on the server, have you checked this? Can anyone else connect from a remote machine?

When you say that you can connect via BIDS on your local, can you elaborate?

Steve.

• I am new to this so bare with me.

I have version 10.50.1600.1 installed on my PC for SSMS & Analysis Services Client Tools.

I have tried to install drivers (but I forgot to unistall any first), meaning I could have installed a driver I already had.

No users can connect from a remote machine.

To connect via BIDS:

start>all programs>Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2>SQL Server Business Intelligence Developement Studio

I can see/use ONLY the solutions/cubes I created on my machine. I just tried to connect to the Analysis Services server & it failed to connect.

Steve, I think there is a port/firewall issue but I do not know how to check this or correct it if need be. Do you know the steps I need to perform to look into this & modify if need be?

Thanks for your help.

• It was a port/firewall issue.

After more google research I was able to find the port causing the issue. The port was blocked by the firewall to remote connections. Once the port was unblocked I was able to connect via SSMS & Excel.

Thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction.

• Glad you got it sorted! Didn't see your last post until now :-S If memory serves, you will have had to unblock 2383?

Steve.

• stevefromOZ (3/7/2011)

Glad you got it sorted! Didn't see your last post until now :-S If memory serves, you will have had to unblock 2383?

That is correct.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply