Unable to Browse Data in a cube

• Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to both obtain and give information. I'm new to Analysis Service and trying to learn it on my own.

I have an issue when I attempt to browse data in a cube, the following error is being displayed "Unable to browse the cube 'Sales' Unspecified error". There is no error number to look this up from. I have created the ODBC connection to the database and SQL Server & Analysis Service is running.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Peter 🙂

Peter M. Florenzano

Database Administrator

• This is an error that shows up often on systems that do not have sp3 for analysis services installed.

Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

------------

• Hi Ray,

Thank you for your prompt response. I'm running MS Windows XP Professional Edition along with MS SQL Server 2000 Evaluation Edition.

Does the evaluation edition come with SP3 or is it just for Windows 2000?

Thanks,

Peter

Peter M. Florenzano

Database Administrator

• Welcome to the !Joy! of debugging MSOLAP. It's handled errors are about as helpful as a sackful of pissed monkeys.

Is this the only cube with this error? What NT account is MSOLAP running under? What NT account are you running under? Do you have NT Admin rights to change that if needed? What database is providing the repository; Access or SQL? What is the backend? etc, etc ...

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

According to everyone I know I "do something with computers?" for a living, so there you go.

• Hello Keith,

Thank you for your response. Here are the answers to your following questions:

I'm running Windows XP, not NT and it's running under my windows account with full administrator rights.

The database is a MS Access database. The fact table is sales_fact_1998.

If I open the database in MS Access, I can see the data there but not in Analysis Manager.

I'm not sure what you mean by the backend.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter M. Florenzano

Database Administrator

• Open the cube editor in Analysis Services and check the 'Visible' property to make sure it is set to 'true'. Sometimes this property value gets flipped to false for reasons I have not been able to determine.

hth,

Michael

Michael Weiss

• Hello Michael,

Thank you for your response. The visable property was set to 'true' by default.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter M. Florenzano

Database Administrator

• Sorry, Peter. I was hoping it would be a simple solution for you. I would try installing sp3 for both sql server and for analysis services. Note: these are two different installs. You can download these for free microsoft's site.

hth,

Michael

Michael Weiss

• quote:

I'm running Windows XP, not NT and it's running under my windows account with full administrator rights.

Sorry, I still call them NT logins/groups etc.

There is another thread with a similar problem "Connecting to Analysis Services problem" where it works for them on 2k but not XP. We could have a bug with AS on XP here, to be honest I've never tried it.

Anyone run AS on XP

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

According to everyone I know I "do something with computers?" for a living, so there you go.

• Yes, I run AS on XP with no problems, I have sp3 installed and use Excel to connect to my cubes.

------------

• One obvious question. Did you process the cube? Maybe try processing it once more.

The fact that you have defined it, and that the fact table is accessible, does not mean the cube is ready for use.

• Hello everyone

And thank you for your replies. I think I figured out the problem. I do not have Service Pack 3 installed. When I attempted to install it, I received an error stating that you are unable to load service pack 3 with SQL Server Evaluation Edition.

Can I purchase a version of SQL Server that will run on XP? I know there are versions that will run on both NT and MS Server 2000 & 2003.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Peter

Peter M. Florenzano

Database Administrator

• Peter,

If you are not running SQL Server in a production environment, you can use the Developer Edition which contains the same functionality as the Enterprise Edition. The cost for the Developer edition last time I checked was about $500.00. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the license parameters, but as far as I know, if you don't use it in a production environment you should be fine.

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• The developer edition is hella cheep now; something like $89 (US) last time I checked.

Signature is NULL

• Dev edition is $50, MS smartened up on this one 🙂

------------

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply