unable to access SQL database

• This is what was reported from the user:

Several weeks ago, I was connected to one of our servers via the Query Analyzer. During my session, the server went down.

When the server came up again, I couldn't connect from my work station. I rreceive the following error.

Server does not exist or access is denied.

When I log into other work stations, I can connect to the server.

When other people log into my workstation they cannot.

I can connect to any other server.

I suspect that there is an orphan process on the server or my work station has a lock file or registry entry on it.

I also assume that someone has already dealt with this issue and knows how to resolve it. Any help is very much appreciated.

• 1. Try to use Cient Network Utility Aliases for each Named Pipes and TCP/IP

2. Try to use Fully Qualified Domain name.

3. Try to ping the server.

Let us know if any of the above worked.

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Reply from user:

1. Try to use Client Network Utility Aliases for each Named Pipes and TCP/IP . I tried this. 

2. Try to use Fully Qualified Domain name.  I did this also. 

3. Try to ping the server.  I could not ping the server so I added an entry to my hosts file and now I can ping but still cannot connect. 

Let us know if any of the above worked.  Nope

Thanks

• Recreate the ODBC connection. If that doesn't work, go to Microsoft's website and download the latest MDAC. Install that and try again.

I don't think it's anything with an orphaned connection. Normally a user can open many connections from one computer. So, I think it's more likely something with the ODBC connection got 'messed up'.

-SQLBill

• No luck.  Recreate the ODBC connection....didn't work.

Have since found out that if a user removes their registration and tries to re-register they are no longer able too.

Am using SQL server authenication....password has not been changed.  

Still looking for help!

• Do you have the named pipes protocol enabled?  We ran into a similar problem with one of our users.

John

• We have TCP/IP & Named Pipes enabled.....

Thanks

• What happens if they try to register using the IP address vice the server name? Also, have you tried reinstalling MDAC on their system?

-SQLBill

• Forget SQL for a minute and check the event logs on the server through compmgmt.msc - remember to use the IP address to connect.

If there's nothing there, check the services and restart the SQL service.

The two factors you've mentioned are name resolution (avoid problems by using the IP for now - but be sure that you have the right IP and that the server hasn't DHCP'd another one), and logging in (you're using SQL authentication, so who is logged on to what client machine is completely irrelevant).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply