Unable to access physical server to backup transaction log

• Perry Whittle (12/5/2014)

ian_massey (12/5/2014)

Thank you for the LSN explanation re the proprietary software - that makes sense to me.

But I don't have any access to the log file backups, the database backup files or their respective physical locations.

It just seems that until I can get access to these areas then I'm unable to implement any of the normal "administration" duties.

You need to refer back to any SLA that has been agreed. What separation of duties has been agreed? If you're just required to maintain security and general sql server then this does not stop you doing that. Just ensure they don't come cap in hand asksing you to carry tasks beyond your control.

Very much agreed.

Plus, the last thing on earth you want to be is a DBA whose only tasks are backups, space maintenance, and security. That job is going the way of the dinosaur. You want to be the dynamic DBA involved with development, operations, etc. So your time is spent in process improvement, tuning, design, the stuff that matters.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (12/5/2014)

Perry Whittle (12/5/2014)

ian_massey (12/5/2014)

Thank you for the LSN explanation re the proprietary software - that makes sense to me.

But I don't have any access to the log file backups, the database backup files or their respective physical locations.

It just seems that until I can get access to these areas then I'm unable to implement any of the normal "administration" duties.

You need to refer back to any SLA that has been agreed. What separation of duties has been agreed? If you're just required to maintain security and general sql server then this does not stop you doing that. Just ensure they don't come cap in hand asksing you to carry tasks beyond your control.

Very much agreed.

Plus, the last thing on earth you want to be is a DBA whose only tasks are backups, space maintenance, and security. That job is going the way of the dinosaur. You want to be the dynamic DBA involved with development, operations, etc. So your time is spent in process improvement, tuning, design, the stuff that matters.

Problem is not all systems will provide full control, if there is separation in the SLA you may only be required to maintain part of a systsem (such as when the system is remote). You just need to define the line where the responsibilities start and end

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply