Type conversion may affect CardinalityEstimate

• The query below ran fine but I am trying to correct the "type conversion in expression may affect Cardinality Estimate in query plan" warning displayed in the query plan.

declare

@DY1 int = 20160329,

@DY2 int = 20160330,

@DY3 int = 20160331,

@DY4 int = 20160401,

@DY5 int = 20160402,

@DY6 int = 20160404

declare @rpt_AcrossDays table(

[AcrossDays] [int] NULL,

[DayName] [nvarchar](3) NULL,

[DayNo] [nvarchar](4) NULL

)

delete @rpt_AcrossDays

Insert into @rpt_AcrossDays(AcrossDays,[DayName],DayNo)

SELECT @DY1 AcrossDays,left(datename(dw,CONVERT(date, convert(char(10),@DY1, 120))),3) [DayName], 'DY1' DayNo union all

SELECT @DY2 AcrossDays,left(datename(dw,CONVERT(date, convert(char(10),@DY2, 120))),3) [DayName], 'DY2' DayNo union all

SELECT @DY3 AcrossDays,left(datename(dw,CONVERT(date, convert(char(10),@DY3, 120))),3) [DayName], 'DY3' DayNo union all

SELECT @DY4 AcrossDays,left(datename(dw,CONVERT(date, convert(char(10),@DY4, 120))),3) [DayName], 'DY4' DayNo union all

SELECT @DY5 AcrossDays,left(datename(dw,CONVERT(date, convert(char(10),@DY5, 120))),3) [DayName], 'DY5' DayNo union all

SELECT @DY6 AcrossDays,left(datename(dw,CONVERT(date, convert(char(10),@DY6, 120))),3) [DayName], 'DY6' DayNo

select * from @rpt_AcrossDays

Thanks,

MC

• The key words in that message are "warning" (not "error") and "may" (not "will").

Every plan that uses type conversions, either implicit or explicit, will show that warning. Check where the conversion is, determine whether the warning applies in your case, and then move on.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Thanks Hugo. In my case, I am moving on because it does not affect the result of my query. I was just trying to clean things up.

Thanks,

MC.

• You're inserting varchar values 'DY1' DayNo into nvarchar(4) column.

It causes an implicit conversion and consequently, the warning.

If you either change the datatype to varchar(4) or use N'DY1' DayNo instead, it will all go away.

• Sergiy (3/29/2016)

You're inserting varchar values 'DY1' DayNo into nvarchar(4) column.

If you either change the datatype to varchar(4) or use N'DY1' DayNo instead, it will all go away.

He'll still have the explicit conversion of numeric to char to date, so I doubt that it will go away.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen (3/30/2016)

Sergiy (3/29/2016)

You're inserting varchar values 'DY1' DayNo into nvarchar(4) column.

He'll still have the explicit conversion of numeric to char to date, so I doubt that it will go away.

Drew

Nah, those conversions are mentioned in "Compute Scalar" step.

They are executed when the recordset is prepared, not inserted.

• Thanks all for the suggestions. I used N'DY1' DayNo and the warning went away.

Thanks,

MC

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply