Two Days Off

• Scott D. Jacobson (1/8/2015)

I for one would really like to know more about the reasons behind the outage. There was a Xen security advisory last September that caused huge ripples across several cloud services in cluding Amazon EC2 and Rackspace. Considering that this service exited beta around the same time I'm wondering if that's what we're seeing here and Verizon is only now getting around to patching a major vulnerability. More here:

[1]

[2][/url]

It sounds like they're performing a major deployment to a beta platform or perhaps migrating some customers from legacy to the new platform.

Verizon, which would like to be playing in the cloud big leagues with the likes of Amazon, IBM, Microsoftand Google, noted that the shutdown will only affect Verizon Cloud, a service for enterprise customers that just emerged from beta in the third quarter of 2014.

The company's legacy platforms -- Enterprise Cloud, Enterprise Cloud Managed Edition, and Enterprise Cloud Federal Edition -- will not be affected.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2865802/verizon-warns-enterprise-cloud-users-of-48-hour-shutdown.html

Perhaps the moral of this story is that wise men build their enterprise upon the solid rock of v1.0, while foolish men build their enterprise upon the shifting sands of beta releases.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• ccd3000 (1/8/2015)

The last place I worked we had implemented Microsoft's Office 365 cloud based solution. By the time I had departed a few months later, it was being referred to as 'Office 361' due to the outages and declining. It was almost universally despised in less than 6 months.

Microsoft is pushing us to move to 365 because we're a school. What they don't understand is we're a school for the visually impaired and that staff outnumbers students currently by over 3 to 1.

I wonder if we could do an Open Office pilot project, I was very surprised yesterday to learn that Word 2010 will open Open Office files.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• PHYData DBA (1/8/2015)

If it goes down ever it is not a "cloud" service it is a remote service.

Cloud services are always on and should be redundant.

Verizon redefines the standard to match their inability to provide technology again.

Spot on.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• It appears to be a tale of one service not anywhere near the standards of others and risk tarring them all with the same brush.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/8/2015)

The cloud isn't a panacea, nor is it useless for critical data. You have to use it for what it is.

Not according to M$, it's the real deal. But hang on, didn't their own cloud service go down shortly after PASS summit? :ermm:

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • quackhandle1975 (2/15/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/8/2015)

The cloud isn't a panacea, nor is it useless for critical data. You have to use it for what it is.

Not according to M$, it's the real deal. But hang on, didn't their own cloud service go down shortly after PASS summit? :ermm:

qh

I think they have tried to give guidance in different ways. Certainly they don't limit things and some of their arguments are shaky, but they don't necessarily say the cloud solves all problems. It can work in any situation, but you have to re-code/architect for the cloud and understand it can do down.

Their argument is your DC can go down, too.

• qh[/quote]

I think they have tried to give guidance in different ways. Certainly they don't limit things and some of their arguments are shaky, but they don't necessarily say the cloud solves all problems. It can work in any situation, but you have to re-code/architect for the cloud and understand it can do down.

Their argument is your DC can go down, too.[/quote]

Yes, your DC can go down too. However, being yours and under your control, you are in a position to assert lots of necessary pressure on hardware technicians, software technicians, and anyone else involved. I remember years ago when manager of a small IBM system for a local company that our system went down and the local guys were having problems keeping it running. By exerting pressure on Big Blue ourselves (for our actually IBM red box system, and being vocal we got IBM to bring in more talent, and even to fly in a replacement processor, yeah, one of those 3' x 4' x 6' processor cabinets from Florida to northern Indiana and installing it on a weekend to get our capability going again. You certainly aren't going to get that accomplished in the cloud situation. And that still begs the question of being able to control the security of your data when it's out there 'somewhere'. The only safe controllable solution is to keep your internal and external systems entirely separate, even if it means you lose some response time. As a customer, I'll sacrifice some time lag in return for safety of my data. I'll take my order confirmation tomorrow if it means you keep my personal information safe today.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply