Twitter Your Issues

• skjoldtc (11/13/2008)

... I don't want nor need 24/7 connectivity. At work when something fails, yes, but that's the exception.

Perfectly stated! I don't instant message, I don't text message. Unfortunately my Palm Pilot that worked disappeared (as opposed to my stupid $300 Palm TX POS, worst Palm Pilot EVAH!), so I have to use my cell phone as an alarm clock, otherwise my cell phone's ringer is turned off when I go to bed.

I don't want a CrackBerry, but I have a feeling that I may be getting one at work next year. Maybe I can avoid it, but I definitely won't buy one for myself. I prefer cell phones that are good for making phone calls and little else.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• skjoldtc (11/13/2008)

Twitter is another way to be always connected. Who needs that? There has to be downtime somewhere.

Friends and family get irritated as it is that I don't check personal email thoughout the day (not allowed at my current gig). I used to use IM and angered those on my list when I wasn't replying instantly. I don't need the aggravation.

I don't want nor need 24/7 connectivity. At work when something fails, yes, but that's the exception.

That's one of the beauties of Twitter. You can always close the client. When you have time again, you can open it up and check your replies, because unlike some IMs, you can have "off-line" messages.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• K. Brian Kelley (11/13/2008)

Also, to maximize the effectiveness of Twitter, you really need to get one of the clients that makes use of the Twitter APIs. The web interface presented is extremely limited. I happen to use TweetDeck as it lets me see all the tweets from those I follow, any tweets specifically sent my way (replies), as well as direct messages which don't appear to the public. But it also allows me to group people so I see their tweets both in the main feed, but also separately, so they get more attention. And TweetDeck also allows me to keep a column open which basically searches Twitter for any posts on "SQL Server." Other clients do similar things.

Definitely,... I have found the Flock Browser[/url] to be invaluable in this regard.

• We've been using Yammer for a couple of months. No feed from our automated build server yet, but I think that's coming.

We specifically chose it over Twitter for the company-orientedness of it.

• Yammer looks interesting, and thanks for pointing it out.

You definitely need downtime, but the thing to remember is that Twitter, alerts, Blackberry's aren't binary devices. It doesn't mean you are always connected or rarely connected. It's a tool that you use as it fits in your life.

• Steve Jones - Editor (11/12/2008)

... SMS is available in many places that data connections cannot be ...[/B]

Most phone providers with SMS services have an email connector. For example, Verizon is [phone number]@vtext.com. You don't have to have a data connection. TMobile and Sprint have one also, although I don't recall those domains just now. Of course, the limitation is the size of the message, but some tools will break up the message into multiple SMS for you. The main reason SMS does not take off more, is because many providers still severely toll messaging traffic.

I've not used Twitter. I personally am not a fan of any of the social networking sites, as too much information is revealable without ones' consent. It is not all that hard to stumble upon who my friend's friend's family's children are. In a perfect world, trust of care for personal information would not be a worry. But the world is not there... yet.

I find alarming the data mining practices that occur with both Linked-In and FaceBook. If I want to share something with the world, I'll put up a web site. Otherwise, I would rather Joe-public, uncle Sam, and even cousin IT have to take the harder routes to obtain personal information.

• Sorry, but here are my 2-cents, maybe 25-cents, worth.

Yes, I am in a semi-public forum and I do participate in forums. But much of the internet is PUBLIC, so anything you say, might become available to anyone else, either by chance, search or hack.

So on the Internet, you have to watch what you say, where you participate, or even browse. You may have nothing to hide, but even some mild or unintentional things may backfire on you at a later point. You can change your viewpoint, friends, lifestyle, and habits. But they get "Carved-in-internet" and don't go away.

All of these Social-websites, and even email, can, and sometimes is under surveillance by people. Someday some of these "Futuristic"/Sci/Fi concepts, may become reality. It makes it easier for internal security and for the Government to know so much more about everyone. Sometimes It could help prevent crimes, but it can do harmless people, some harm.

You could create a similar system to be use internally for your business, and on secure-websites, then you have more control and security. It can be run on a separate server. I've done some similar segments like this.:)

• John Erdovegi (11/13/2008)

All of these Social-websites, and even email, can, and sometimes is under surveillance by people. Someday some of these "Futuristic"/Sci/Fi concepts, may become reality. It makes it easier for internal security and for the Government to know so much more about everyone. Sometimes It could help prevent crimes, but it can do harmless people, some harm.

I don't disagree with you, and thinking about what I'm posting on-line is always at the back of my mind. Yes, there is the potential of someone monitoring you. Yes, there are places like Great Britain which are looking at doing just that and there have been cases with voice communications here in the US which were intercepted by the NSA, even though there wasn't a specific justification to do so. That's more and more a possibility in today's world. But at some point, you've got to measure the value versus the risk. For some, it may not be worth it. Steve hasn't found much value in Twitter, and the reason is he probably uses it differently than I do, and that's fine. And along the same lines, if he handed me some of the tools he uses for carpentry, the reverse would be true because I probably wouldn't find much use for them, mainly because it hasn't ever been a big interest of mine and because I've never done that type of work. For me, Twitter is worth it from a value perspective. It provides the capability of connecting with folks that an internal system wouldn't allow, in a near real-time medium, if that's needed. YMMV.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

It provides the capability of connecting with folks that an internal system wouldn't allow, in a near real-time medium, if that's needed.

Wouldn't allow, or currently doesn't offer? Sounds like a matter of preference and ease of offering, not a matter of ability.

However, I do not want to sound negative on your choice. I do respect your logic on the cost/benefit analysis. One cannot always live in fear... but certain levels of privacy should be thought out, before sending out unretractables. To each their own.

• dphillips (11/13/2008)

Wouldn't allow, or currently doesn't offer? Sounds like a matter of preference and ease of offering, not a matter of ability.

Wouldn't allow. For instance, an internal system would only permit communication within the organization. Twitter allows me to talk to a far wider audience, many of whom have broad experiences. That's just something an internal system cannot reproduce. Think about comparing an internal company system to a community site like SQLServerCentral.com. There's just no comparison.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

skjoldtc (11/13/2008)

Twitter is another way to be always connected. Who needs that? There has to be downtime somewhere.

Friends and family get irritated as it is that I don't check personal email thoughout the day (not allowed at my current gig). I used to use IM and angered those on my list when I wasn't replying instantly. I don't need the aggravation.

I don't want nor need 24/7 connectivity. At work when something fails, yes, but that's the exception.

That's one of the beauties of Twitter. You can always close the client. When you have time again, you can open it up and check your replies, because unlike some IMs, you can have "off-line" messages.

My point is that people get irritated when I don't reply fast enough. I would rahter not have the hassle to begin with.

dphillips (11/13/2008)

Wouldn't allow. For instance, an internal system would only permit communication within the organization. Twitter allows me to talk to a far wider audience, many of whom have broad experiences. That's just something an internal system cannot reproduce. Think about comparing an internal company system to a community site like SQLServerCentral.com. There's just no comparison.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Wouldn't allow"

John Erdovegi (11/13/2008)

DELETED SOME...

You could create a similar system to be use internally for your business, and on secure-websites, then you have more control and security. It can be run on a separate server. I've done some similar segments like this.:)

Quoting my original entry, and on secure-websites. I think SQL Server even has some SMTP alert emailing capabilities. I've done some DBA work, and have had several titles "Systems Administrator", "Director of Computer Services", but I've been mostly a "Developer" or "Programmer/Analyst", for over 20 years.

You can add auto-texting to cell-phones, or even automated voice-response systems for telephone dial-up by people. The internet can be used securely by an IT department. If you have the programming resources available to your business or can have outside Consultants do it for you.

• John Erdovegi (11/13/2008)

DELETED SOME...

Quoting my original entry, and on secure-websites. I think SQL Server even has some SMTP alert emailing capabilities. I've done some DBA work, and have had several titles "Systems Administrator", "Director of Computer Services", but I've been mostly a "Developer" or "Programmer/Analyst", for over 20 years.

You can add auto-texting to cell-phones, or even automated voice-response systems for telephone dial-up by people. The internet can be used securely by an IT department. If you have the programming resources available to your business or can have outside Consultants do it for you.[/quote]

If you're looking to do alerting, that's one thing. I don't see a point of using Twitter for that. I know of some that do. I think it's already been posted that Yammer basically works the same way but is focused on business. However, when it comes to being able to reach out to a community in a quick and easy manner (since you're limited to 140 characters) when the structure of a forum isn't needed, Twitter fits the bill. When I need more structure, SSC.com tends to be where I go. I think you get the idea. It is social, which is a plus for the environment. But it's also quick, meaning it's kind of like that hallway conversation environment.

I cite the BULK INSERT example I previously posted about. That came about because someone asked about opening 300 MB files in SSMS. He was able to open it using SQLCMD. The fact anyone was opening a 300 MB file in SSMS drew my interest. So I asked why and he indicated he had data and schema together. This naturally led to the question of whether or not he could separate the two. He could. So I asked if he had considered BULK INSERT. Pretty simple exchange, and hopefully it helped. I've received similar help on things. Now, that could have gone on in a forum, but a more active medium like Twitter, that conversation took place pretty quickly.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• skjoldtc (11/13/2008)

My point is that people get irritated when I don't reply fast enough. I would rahter not have the hassle to begin with.

Well, their expectations are unrealistic and I don't know that you can do anything about that. But that's going to be the case, regardless of the medium. Even with that expectation, you don't give up on email, right? Same argument could be made for FaceBook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I wrote post on how to update and a number of other web 2.0 services via database email. It is definitely not a replacement for an enterprise monitoring system but it could be a nice supplement.

http://statisticsio.com/Home/tabid/36/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/275/This-Update-Came-from-SQL-Server.aspx

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply