Tutorial: Designing Your First Report in SQL Server Reporting Services

• Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com

• I went through this tutorial, and while everything went smoothly through most of the article, at the end, when I deployed the report, it fell down. It does not want to use the Windows Authentication I chose, I get an error opeing the report; and I did not get the pretty interface to navigate to the report like the one pictured, but cannot figure out what's different between my environment and the article's.

I'd like to know if these issues can be helped now, or will be addressed in a subsequent article.

Thanks,

Chris

• THe pretty interface you're referring to can be accessed at http://reportservername/reports. What are you viewing the report in that causes an authentication error?

• It seems that Reports Server can't use Windows Authentication, because Reports Server appears to pass it the authentication for the web server, not the authentication from the IE user hitting the site. If I use the "The credentials supplied by the user running the report" option, I cna specify a user ID and PW when runnign the report. I had hoped to use "Windows NT Integrated Security" and, since this is an Intranet site, added to my Intranet sites list in IE, have IE pass my NT login info to the web server and it pass that info to the SQL Server for seemless authentication. I guess this is a little too much to expect though, but we can put a man on the moon....

I did find the other area you spoke of, with the pretty interface and report menu. This does look like it may be a useful tool, once I learn more about it and can articulate its usefulness and features to others in my organization. I will have to figure out a better authentication method though, but I hate to go with SQL standard security.

Thanks

Chris

• Forgive me for being thick, but where/how can I get the client component?

I have a CD for Reporting Services (from the Microsoft Action Pack) and have installed on my server to try it out. But I haven't found anything anywhere for installing a client component. I also looked at the link in the article which is for a trial version. Since I have a CD, I don't know if that'll help.

Please, a simple answer for a simple person

Kevin

• It should be on the cd for reporting services.  Pop the cd you have in your dev box and try it.  It should ask you what you want to install (client or server software).  Calling it the client component is a little misleading, though, since almost any software/machine can be a client for reporting services in the sense of viewing reports.  A better name would probably be the development component or client or whatever.

• I thought this was a great start.  I took it and made some slight modifications to include the run duration and the start time for each job.  Then I created a subscription to email me every morning so I don't have to go out and look at every one of my servers every morning, I just have to check my email. 

Thanks for putting this out there.

• if you run the job two times a day the job is listed two times with that SQL

but if you change the SQL like this "using max instance_id instead of Run_date" all jabs listed one time

select

distinct

j.Name as "Job Name",

j.job_id,

j.enabled,

j.category_id,

j.description as "Job Description",

h.run_date as LastStatusDate,

case h.run_status

when 0 then 'Failed'

when 1 then 'Successful'

when 3 then 'Cancelled'

when 4 then 'In Progress'

end as JobStatus

from

sysJobHistory h with (nolock),

sysJobs j with (nolock)

where

j.job_id = h.job_id

and h.instance_id = (select max(hi.instance_id) from sysJobHistory hi where h.job_id = hi.job_id)

order by j.Name

• Many Thanks Brian for a very informative article for someone who is only now beginning to dabble in SSRS.

I have a question...

Let's say I want to run this report against all SQL instances within our environment how would I go about configuring the Data Sources? Do I really need a data source for each instance?

Many Thanks,

Mark

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply