Tuning Advisor Reports Issues that aren't issues

• We ran a small trace against our system (24 minutes worth). Then I ran the Database Engine Tuning Advisor against it. It found that 66% of consumed workload has syntax errors. Of course I went to check the code in question and found that there weren't any syntax errors (triggers and sps where being reported).

I'm thinking it's some sort of "system is stressed" issue that's getting in the way. Our old server often has 50% plus CPU utilization (yes I am trying to get a new one and we're slowly rewriting 'bad' code).

I searched around and was unable to find any similar posts here or on MSDN. Any thoughts?

• Let me say up front, I hate the DTA. When it gives advice, it frequently gives bad advice.

That said, it sounds like you weren't connected to a database with all the appropriate structures. Do you have linked servers or cross-database queries or something like that?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• No nothing like that. I agree on the hate part. I was planning to basically ignore most of it's 'recommendations' and review the couple that might make sense, it did suggest a couple of indexes on nearly static tables I hadn't noticed were needed before so it looks like it did a little bit of good (maybe).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply