tSQLt AssertEqualsString

• Is it possible to force a case sensitive comparison?

ie. i want this to fail:

EXEC tsqlt.AssertEqualsString 'Test','test';

• Use a case sensitive collation in your test.  It's simple enough that you really don't need a stored procedure.

SELECT CASE WHEN 'Test' = 'test' COLLATE Latin1_General_CS_AS_KS_WS THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Thanks, but I am trying to do this using the tSQLt testing framework. I guess I can work around  it, by saving the result of the above and asserting a comparison to that, if it's a limitation of the framework procedure.

• leeholden - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 11:32 AM

Thanks, but I am trying to do this using the tSQLt testing framework. I guess I can work around  it, by saving the result of the above and asserting a comparison to that, if it's a limitation of the framework procedure.

May not be a limitation of the framework.  What is the collation used in the database you are doing the testing?

• The collation is Latin1_General_CI_AS, but I've created a function that camel cases the input, so the test needs to check the casing.

the rest of my test code looks something like this

DECLARE @expected VARCHAR(100), @actual VARCHAR(100);

SET @actual = dbo.ToCamelCase('my test value');
    SET @expected = 'MyTestValue';

EXEC tSQLt.AssertEqualsString @expected, @actual;

There for the value of 'mytestcase' should return failed.

Maybe this will work?

SET @actual = dbo.ToCamelCase('my test value') COLLATE Latin1_General_CS_AS;
    SET @expected = 'MyTestValue' COLLATE Latin1_General_CS_AS;

• leeholden - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:18 PM

The collation is Latin1_General_CI_AS, but I've created a function that camel cases the input, so the test needs to check the casing.

the rest of my test code looks something like this

SET @actual = dbo.ToCamelCase('my test value');
    SET @expected = 'MyTestValue';

There for the value of 'mytestcase' should return failed.

Maybe this will work?

SET @actual = dbo.ToCamelCase('my test value') COLLATE Latin1_General_CS_AS;
    SET @expected = 'MyTestValue' COLLATE Latin1_General_CS_AS;

We can't answer this without knowing the definition of tQSLt.AssertEqualsString.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:38 PM

We can't answer this without knowing the definition of tQSLt.AssertEqualsString.

Drew

It's not mine,  it's part of the tSQLt Testing Framework: https://tsqlt.org
    The question is specific to the framework, not a general T-SQL question. Just thought someone here may have had experience with it.

• leeholden - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 3:21 PM

drew.allen - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:38 PM

Drew

It's not mine,  it's part of the tSQLt Testing Framework: https://tsqlt.org
    The question is specific to the framework, not a general T-SQL question. Just thought someone here may have had experience with it.

the documentation says nothing either way about case sensitivity, so I went to look at the source code at https://github.com/tSQLt-org/tSQLt/blob/master/Source/tSQLt.AssertEqualsString.ssp.sql

looks like it literally checks @Expected = @Actual, so it's about how the SQL operator compares string values.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• You could always extend tSQLt by writing your own case-sensitive assertion.  It's just a stored proc.
    Then you could call
    EXEC tSQLt.AssertEqualsStringCS @expected, @actual;

• DesNorton - Thursday, August 9, 2018 1:26 AM

You could always extend tSQLt by writing your own case-sensitive assertion.  It's just a stored proc.
    Then you could call
    EXEC tSQLt.AssertEqualsStringCS @expected, @actual;

This was my next thought too - thanks

• I think it may come down to the collation of the database where these tests are being run.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply