Trying to return simple results from a simple TSQL Query.

• I am attempting to return results from a simple query in a comma separated format view (CSV).

I have the following customer table contains the fields as defined as such:

[Company] [nvarchar](50) NOT NULL,

[AccountNumber] [nvarchar](20) NOT NULL,

and

[AccountBalance] [money] NOT NULL.

When I run the following query:

Select Company + ',' + [AccountNumber] + ',' + [AccountBalance]

from customer

where accountbalance = 0

order by accountbalance

I receive the following error:

Msg 235, Level 16, State 0, Line 1

Cannot convert a char value to money. The char value has incorrect syntax.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

and Thank You

• you have to explicitly convert [AccountBalance] to append it to your string:

Select Company + ',' + [AccountNumber] + ',' + CONVERT(varchar,[AccountBalance])

from customer

where accountbalance = 0

order by accountbalance

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• What if I need the precision to be to the nearest 0.0000? Do I need to add a cast statement too?

• convert has an optional third parameter for <style>, so when used on a money or smallmoney data type, you can get four digits to teh right with no commas, ie 4342.5645

convert(varchar,moneyColumn,2)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187928.aspx

Value Output

0 (default) No commas every three digits to the left of the decimal point, and two digits to the right of the decimal point; for example, 4235.98.

1 Commas every three digits to the left of the decimal point, and two digits to the right of the decimal point; for example, 3,510.92.

2 No commas every three digits to the left of the decimal point, and four digits to the right of the decimal point; for example, 4235.9819.

126 Equivalent to style 2 when converting to char(n) or varchar(n)

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Lowell.

That did it!

You rock,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply