Trying to Make combinations within a bracket in SSMS column

• No, it is NOT right! The function is created, so the comparison is only between execution of the 2 queries! If the  function don't have a execution-plan in the execution cache, it must be compiled - schmabind or not schemabind!

• Ok so is the execution cache cleared of the tally function between each execution?  Or according to what timeout period or ??

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• No, the plan for a procedures, functions, ... when then  execution cache is not big enough to hold all the plans - do you have a server that can keep all the execution plans in cache? And the plans are thrown out, depending of how often the procedure, function, .... is used. But maybe you use the tally function in so many queries, that the execution plan is always in cache!

• Aha ok yes afaik the cache is clear-able on local instances.  I work mostly on Azure SQL these days and the DBCC statements to clear cache don't apply/work (maybe yet?).  The tally based approach uses fewer resources if the plan is re-used, yes?

• carsten.saastamoinen wrote:

No, the plan for a procedures, functions, ... when then  execution cache is not big enough to hold all the plans - do you have a server that can keep all the execution plans in cache? And the plans are thrown out, depending of how often the procedure, function, .... is used. But maybe you use the tally function in so many queries, that the execution plan is always in cache!

The execution plan for fnTally (for example) is incredibly trivial and virtually no time to recompile if needed.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• In Azure, we also have limited resources!

• Okay ... time to throw my hat in the ring...   I would not recommend storing the data in the database this way, as it's just not a proper representation of the need for a real-world result.   However,  that said, a simple single character splitting function can be paired with some simple string manipulation to achieve the desired result, and the performance appears to be great...

First, the table as originally specified, plus the splitting function:

USE PERSONAL;
    GO

IF OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.TIDPrefix', N'U') IS NOT NULL
    BEGIN;
    DROP TABLE dbo.TIDPrefix;
    END;
    GO

CREATE TABLE dbo.TIDPrefix (
    TypeID int,
    TIDPrefix varchar(20) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    );
    GO

INSERT INTO dbo.TIDPrefix (TypeID, TIDPrefix)
    SELECT 13, 'A[CL]' UNION ALL
    SELECT 13, 'B[HQUW]' UNION ALL
    SELECT 13, 'D[C]' UNION ALL
    SELECT 13, 'G[AHPWZ]' UNION ALL
    SELECT 13, 'I[ST]' UNION ALL
    SELECT 13, 'N[Y]' UNION ALL
    SELECT 13, 'P[BPS]' UNION ALL
    SELECT 13, 'V[AR]' UNION ALL
    SELECT 13, 'XP' UNION ALL
    SELECT 13, 'Z';
    GO

IF OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.fnSplit1', N'IF') IS NOT NULL
    BEGIN;
    DROP FUNCTION dbo.fnSplit1;
    END;
    GO

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.fnSplit1 (
    @String varchar(8000)
    )
    RETURNS TABLE
    WITH SCHEMABINDING
    AS
    RETURN
    WITH N1 AS (

SELECT 1 AS N UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL
    SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL
    SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1
    ),
    N4 AS (

SELECT TOP (LEN(@String))
    ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY (SELECT NULL)) AS N
    FROM N1 AS A, N1 AS B, N1 AS C, N1 AS D
    )
    SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT
    N AS ItemNumber,
    SUBSTRING(@String, N, 1) AS Item
    FROM N4
    WHERE LEN(@String) > 0
    ORDER BY N;
    GO

And the test code:

USE PERSONAL;
    GO

WITH RAW_DATA AS (

SELECT
    TP.TIDPrefix,
    CHARINDEX('[', TP.TIDPrefix) AS BPOS,
    CASE
    WHEN CHARINDEX('[', TP.TIDPrefix) > 0 THEN LEFT(TP.TIDPrefix, CHARINDEX('[', TP.TIDPrefix) - 1)
    ELSE TP.TIDPrefix
    END AS Prefix,
    CASE
    WHEN CHARINDEX('[', TP.TIDPrefix) > 0 THEN SUBSTRING(TP.TIDPrefix, CHARINDEX('[', TP.TIDPrefix) + 1, LEN(TP.TIDPrefix) - (CHARINDEX('[', TP.TIDPrefix) + 1))
    ELSE ''
    END AS PostFix
    FROM dbo.TIDPrefix AS TP
    )
    SELECT
    RD.TIDPrefix,
    ISNULL(S.ItemNumber, 1) AS ItemNumber,
    RD.Prefix + ISNULL(S.Item, '') AS ResultString
    FROM RAW_DATA AS RD
    OUTER APPLY.dbo.fnSplit1(RD.PostFix) AS S
    ORDER BY RD.TIDPrefix, S.ItemNumber;

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  sgmunson. Reason: grammatical

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• Not to be left out, here's my take on a possible solution: 🙂

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS #testdata;

CREATE TABLE #testdata -- Source data structure as specified by OP...
    (
    TypeId INT DEFAULT(13),
    TIDPrefix VARCHAR(100)
    );

INSERT INTO #testdata (TIDPrefix)
    VALUES
    -- Testdata provided by the OP...
    ('A[CL]'),
    ('B[HQUW]'),
    ('D[C]'),
    ('G[AHPWZ]'),
    ('I[ST]'),
    ('N[Y]'),
    ('P[BPS]'),
    ('V[AR]'),
    ('XP'),
    ('Z'),
    --- Some additional unusual/irregular data...
    ('A[DLT]Z'),
    ('AL[MSB]ZT'),
    ('AX[NFB][ZT'),
    ('ATL[SUZ[ZT'),
    ('AW[[CUT'),
    ('AZ[[YOQ]')
    ;

-- My take on a possible solution...
    WITH
    DigitsZero2Nine AS (
    SELECT Digit FROM
    (VALUES (0),(1),(2),(3),(4),(5),(6),(7),(8),(9)) a(Digit)
    ),
    NumbersOne2OneHundred AS ( -- Used to index the character string to explode (limited to 100 because of defined variable length
    SELECT zn1.Digit * 10 + zn2.Digit + 1 AS Number
    FROM DigitsZero2Nine zn1, DigitsZero2Nine zn2
    ),
    SourceData AS (
    SELECT
    x.TypeId,
    x.TIDPrefix,
    CASE WHEN 0 IN (CHARINDEX('[',x.TIDPrefix,1),CHARINDEX(']',x.TIDPrefix,1)) THEN x.TIDPrefix ELSE LEFT(x.TIDPrefix,CHARINDEX('[',x.TIDPrefix,1)-1) END AS Prefix,
    CASE WHEN 0 IN (CHARINDEX('[',x.TIDPrefix,1),CHARINDEX(']',x.TIDPrefix,1)) THEN '' ELSE SUBSTRING(x.TIDPrefix,CHARINDEX('[',x.TIDPrefix,1)+1,CHARINDEX(']',x.TIDPrefix,1)-CHARINDEX('[',x.TIDPrefix,1)-1) END AS Xplode,
    CASE WHEN 0 IN (CHARINDEX('[',x.TIDPrefix,1),CHARINDEX(']',x.TIDPrefix,1),LEN(x.TIDPrefix)) THEN '' ELSE RIGHT(x.TIDPrefix,LEN(x.TIDPrefix)-CHARINDEX(']',x.TIDPrefix,1)) END AS Suffix
    FROM #testdata x)
    SELECT
    sd.TypeId,
    sd.TIDPrefix,
    sd.Prefix,
    sd.Xplode,
    sd.Suffix,
    n100.Number AS XplodeCharIndex,
    SUBSTRING(sd.Xplode,n100.Number,1) AS XplodeChar,
    sd.Prefix + SUBSTRING(sd.Xplode,n100.Number,1) + sd.Suffix AS TIDCombined
    FROM SourceData sd
    CROSS JOIN NumbersOne2OneHundred n100
    WHERE n100.Number <= LEN(sd.Xplode)
    OR n100.Number = 1 AND LEN(sd.Xplode) = 0
    ORDER BY
    TIDPrefix,
    XplodeCharIndex
  • Awesome!

• If parse and compile time is 20 ms, how long time takes recompile?

• carsten.saastamoinen wrote:

In Azure, we also have limited resources!

Hey there, Carsten.  I really appreciate that you have limited resources in Azure.  It's taking me a while (had to write some code to create some decent test data) and I'll be back with more but I have confirmed your compile time observation.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• 776/5000

"I really appreciate that you have limited resources in Azure". What a comment !!! I am not writing anything about  that I have limited resources, but that there are also limited resources, when we use Azure! If we use vcore, 2 cores has 10.2 GB, 4 Cores 20.4 but double price, .... 80 cores 396 GB, but with a price that is 20 times bigger than 4 cores and 40 times bigger than 2 cores. And similarly for the other Azure models. I hope not, and I'm convinced, that dba's are not just allowed to upgrade indefinitely - it must be part of a professional dba's job, not just throwing money out the window.

And SQL Server works the same way whether it's on my local PC or it's in Azure. And I do not think it is possible in practice to turn up and down, up and down, ..., up and down for Azure resources several times during the day. So it's not the solution to a problem - only for the marketing department at MS!

For your information, the test is made on my PC with 8 core (2 quad I7) and 64 GB RAM!

• Yep.  Understood.  And, I agree... more core and ram isn't going to change the problem with compile times.  But, so far, no one has played with more than about 6 rows on this problem.  In my world, we work with some pretty decent size batches of more than a million rows.  To use rCTEs on such things is a complete and totally unnecessary waste of resources and time... especially since a 23-26 second recompile pails in comparison to the actual runs that we do.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• This script prints start/stop timestamps before/after running 2 queries.  Query 1 counts rows generated by the tally function.  Query 2 uses a recursive CTE.  With n=10000, Q1 takes 0 ms.  With n=10000, Q2 takes about 100 ms.

declare
    @n int=10000,
    @tally_start datetime2=sysutcdatetime();

print (cast(@tally_start as varchar));
    select count(*) from dbo.fnTally(1, @n);

declare
    @tally_end datetime2=sysutcdatetime();

print (cast(@tally_end as varchar));
    print ('tally elapsed time: '+cast(datediff(ms, @tally_start, @tally_end) as varchar));

declare
    @cte_start datetime2=sysutcdatetime();
    print (cast(@cte_start as varchar));

;With NumberSequence( Number ) as
    (
    Select 1 as Number
    union all
    Select Number + 1
    from NumberSequence
    where Number < @n
    )
    Select count(*) From NumberSequence Option (MaxRecursion 32767);

declare
    @cte_end datetime2=sysutcdatetime();

print (cast(@cte_end as varchar));
    print ('cte elapsed time: '+cast(datediff(ms, @cte_start, @cte_end) as varchar));

• Sorry Steve for the slightly short and 'sour' remark, but you obviously did not understand the message. Tally is not a panacea for solving these kinds of tasks. If many rows are to be created, tally is the best solution, but if a few rows are to be created, the recursive solution is best. Whether a few or many rows are to be created does not necessarily depend on the other tables in the database. I have been working with wind turbine data - more than 500,000,000 rows - but still need to form a series of numbers, used to look at hours, days month, ... If this data is to be displayed in a graph on af screen, maybe only 20 - 40 values will be shown for not losing track.

The premise of this long discussion says nothing about the number of rows that are taken as a starting point - maybe it is 10, maybe it is 1,000,000. So one solution can be better than the other, when that knowledge is present. But it can first be decided when this is known!

In my world many solutions can be solved in different ways. It is importent to make a solutions which always works - so if things change, it will still work. But choose the best one (cpu-time, elapsed time, ....), depending on how the 'world' looks right now - and it is not a choose among only one possible solution.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply