trying to get my report to allow users to select from a dropdown to filter the result set

• I'm trying to write a simple report. The report returns all the columns i want. One of which is tablename. I want the user to be able to select from a dropdown w/ all the tablenames. When they do only the records for that tablename should appear on the report.

I was able to create a peramiter and it showed on the top of the report but when you select a table out of it the report still returns all the tables.

Can someone please point me in the right direction. I've been trying to use the filter in conjunction w the paramiter and am having no luck. Not sure if thats what i should be doing or not.

Please help!

• You typically would use a query parameter and pass the value of the report parameter to the query parameter so the query only returns the needed rows.

• the thing is i dont want it to hit the db everytime someone wants to see a diff table in the report.

I'd rather have it filter the results after is get them from the db and i can't seem to figue out how to. It's crazy how non intuitive reporting services is for me.

• I believe in SSRS 2005 anytime you change a selection in a report parameter the query is sent to the database. I could be wrong, but I don't know how you make a parameter not act that way.

• Hi.

In my opinion, you can refer to the url below:

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1897

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc188691.aspx

By carelful reading, they can guide you to make a dropdown filter.

However, in fact, you have a another choice, you can have a try of RAQ Report to make your desired dropdown filter. With it, you only need to define condition expression for dynamic association filtering and select a trigger cell. As shown below:

Then, the effect is shown below:

Regards,

becklery.

RAQ Report: Web-based Excel-like Java reporting tool[/url]

• i took jacks advise for simplicity sake and it is working.

I will however read your articles thuroughly because i can see how this is something that i will need to know when working in reporting services in the future.

thanks and i'll advise w any qhestions once i wrap my head around ur solution.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply