Trying to get a proc that I call with 1 parameter to put the results into a tempory table

• I need some help please. I have 1 table of Lots and 1 table of Owners (see atchs 1 & 2 for table designs). I am trying to write a proc that I call with 1 parameter Lot nvarchar(5) Example: '309' and have the result put into a tempory table which will then contain the LotID and the OwnerID. The LotID is used to select the data for a particular Lot and the OwnerID is used to select the data for the Owner of THAT PARTICULAR LotID. If I can get this to work I will use an INNER JOIN to get the results for the Owner. This proc will have a dual output pane, one below the other. My code for the proc is:

-- spGetLotInformation

-- Call this proc with a lot number 233 through 352

use roe6

go

create proc spGetLotInformation

@LotNumnvarchar(5)-- Examples: '2461', '270', '309', '3101'

as

select LotID, OwnerID

from Lots

where LotID = @LotNum;

-- into #LotID_OwnerID

My code to call the proc

use roe6

go

exec spGetLotInformation '309' -- This calls the proc with parameter 309

-- LotID is nvarchar(5)

select LotID, OwnerID

from Lots

into #LotID_OwnerID -- Create a Temporary Table with both

-- LotID and OwnerID

/* If I can get the above to place its output into a tempory table then I

** can write a select statement with an inner join to output the contents

** of the corresponding Owners Table.

/*

-- Now get the Owner Information

select *

from Owners

where OwnerID = #LotID_OwnerID

*/

Thanks for any help. JRichards54

• What are you intending to do with the resultant #temptable? The syntax issue you're running into is:

SELECT whatever INTO #table FROM tablexyz.

Alternatively CREATE TABLE #table INSERT INTO #table SELECT whatever FROM tablexyz.

However, it looks like you're hoping to use the #table outside of the build proc, which gets intricate to do properly.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Thank you Sir. I will ponder your words of wisdom and maybe I will be able to do it. But then I have a work around that appears to do the job. My code for that one is:

/* This Query will find both the Lot and Owner information for that lot. Just replace

** the Lot Number (nvarchar(5)) (in red) with the Lot # you want information on and

** execute. Lots are numbered from 233 through 352. The following lots have been

** re-platted:246 to 2461 and contains 247

**258 to 2581 and contains 259

**310 to 3101 and contains 311 & 312

*/

use roe6

declare @LOTID nvarchar(5)

set @LOTID = '310'

/* This section checks for lots that have been re-platted and have a new Lot Number.

** Since the original lot number will no longer work because that Lot Number does not

** exist anymore. This section changes the @LOTID variable to the new re-platted number.

** There are no lots numbered 247, 259, 311, or 312.

*/

if @LOTID = '246'

begin

set @LOTID = '2461'

end

if @LOTID = '258'

begin

set @LOTID = '2581'

end

if @LOTID = '310'

begin

set @LOTID = '3101'

end

-- Get the Info for Lot # 309 and put it in a tempory table @LOTID. It contains the

-- OwnerID that we need for the next select statement.

select *

into #OWNERID

from Lots

where LotID = @LOTID

select *

from Lots

where LotID = @LOTID

select *

from Owners o

join #OWNERID t

on o.OwnerID = t.OwnerID

DROP TABLE #OWNERID

Is this a better approach than the temporary table? I know that it does the job and I only have to enter the lot number once and I get two output panes. One for Lots and the other just below it for Owners. JRichards54 🙂

• Oh, such fun, lot rezonings. Used to work in land appraising. Brings back memories. ... errr... I'm digressing.

My apologies for the initial confusion. I thought you were trying to build a stored procedure for return to a front end, and were nesting them. I misread some of your earlier code apparently after I saw the problem with the syntax.

Do your users actually use SSMS as a direct interface? That's unusual. Anyway, what you're doing is fine, but I personally wouldn't bother with the overhead of a #table.

I'd do something like this:

SELECT

FROM

Lots

WHERE

LotID = @LotID

SELECT

FROM

Owners AS o

JOIN

Lots AS l

ONo.OwnerID = l.OwnerID

WHERE

l.LotID = @LotID

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Thank you Evil Craig. I like your reduced code version. Haave a good day and a Happy Holiday Season.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply