trying to figure out an update

• Ok folks, you sql experts. I have a query below that returns two columns. I want to treat the resultset as a table and update product (rr is a field in product) joining on productid.

update Product set rr = rate where productid = ProductTempRR.ProductID

SELECT ProductTempRR.ProductID, SUM(ProductTempRR.PolkTotal * ProductReplacementSchedule.Replacement / 100) AS rate

FROM ProductTempRR INNER JOIN

ProductReplacementSchedule ON ProductTempRR.Age = ProductReplacementSchedule.Yr AND

ProductTempRR.Category = ProductReplacementSchedule.Category

GROUP BY ProductTempRR.ProductID

• This seems to work with a temp table:

create table #tempR

(

productid int,

rate decimal(16,2)

)

insert into #tempR (ProductID,rate)

SELECT ProductTempRR.ProductID, SUM(ProductTempRR.PolkTotal * ProductReplacementSchedule.Replacement / 100) AS rate

FROM ProductTempRR INNER JOIN

ProductReplacementSchedule ON ProductTempRR.Age = ProductReplacementSchedule.Yr AND

ProductTempRR.Category = ProductReplacementSchedule.Category

GROUP BY ProductTempRR.ProductID

update Product set rr = rate from product inner join

#tempR on Product.ProductID = #tempR.productid

• Hi foxjazz

A temp table is a valid solution. You can also use a sub-select to avoid the overhead with the temp table.

Try this sample:

DECLARE @t TABLE

(

ProductId INT,

AnyTotal FLOAT,

Replacement FLOAT,

rr FLOAT

)

INSERT INTO @t

SELECT 1, 123.45, 40, NULL

UNION ALL SELECT 1, 234.56, 80, NULL

UNION ALL SELECT 2, 333.44, 100, NULL

UPDATE t1 SET t1.rr = t2.rr

FROM @t t1

JOIN (SELECT ProductId, SUM(AnyTotal * Replacement / 100) rr

FROM @t

GROUP BY ProductId) t2

ON t1.ProductId = t2.ProductId

SELECT * FROM @t

Greets

Flo

• [font="Verdana"]Also okay in SQL Server 2005 to use a CTE (common table expression), which I find makes the resulting code a little more readable, but is otherwise pretty much the same as a sub-select.

with

CalculateRR as (

select ProductID,

sum(AnyTotal * Replacement) / 100 as rr

from @t

group by

ProductID

)

update t

set t.rr = CalculateRR.rr

from @t t

inner join

CalculateRR

on t.ProductID = CalculateRR.ProductID;

[/font]

• I thought about the CTE while typing the sub-query. I just determined that, in this case, the sub-query is simple enough that it stays readable.

Greets

Flo

• Florian Reischl (4/13/2009)

I thought about the CTE while typing the sub-query. I just determined that, in this case, the sub-query is simple enough that it stays readable.

Greets

Flo

[font="Verdana"]Agreed in this case (sorry, didn't mean to come across like I was disapproving of your code at all!) I've just gotten into the habit of using them now, and wanted to show the alternative.[/font]

• Bruce W Cassidy (4/13/2009)

Florian Reischl (4/13/2009)

I thought about the CTE while typing the sub-query. I just determined that, in this case, the sub-query is simple enough that it stays readable.

Greets

Flo

[font="Verdana"]Agreed in this case (sorry, didn't mean to come across like I was disapproving of your code at all!) I've just gotten into the habit of using them now, and wanted to show the alternative.[/font]

Nothing to say sorry! I didn't feel disapproved. It was only an explanation why I didn't use it. 😉

Greets

Flo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply