Trying to delete old log files

• Here is the script as generated from the server. Please set the proper login if you use this, as well as the path to your job log files.

USE [msdb]

GO

/****** Object: Job [Delete Maintenance Report Files] Script Date: 02/09/2009 13:35:42 ******/

BEGIN TRANSACTION

DECLARE @ReturnCode INT

SELECT @ReturnCode = 0

/****** Object: JobCategory [Database Maintenance] Script Date: 02/09/2009 13:35:42 ******/

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT name FROM msdb.dbo.syscategories WHERE name=N'Database Maintenance' AND category_class=1)

BEGIN

EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_category @class=N'JOB', @type=N'LOCAL', @name=N'Database Maintenance'

IF (@@ERROR <> 0 OR @ReturnCode <> 0) GOTO QuitWithRollback

END

DECLARE @jobId BINARY(16)

EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_job @job_name=N'Delete Maintenance Report Files',

@enabled=1,

@notify_level_eventlog=0,

@notify_level_email=2,

@notify_level_netsend=0,

@notify_level_page=0,

@delete_level=0,

@description=N'This is a stop gap for the bug in SQL 2005 SP2.',

@category_name=N'Database Maintenance',

@owner_login_name=N' ',

@notify_email_operator_name=N'DBA', @job_id = @jobId OUTPUT

/****** Object: Step [Delete Files] Script Date: 02/09/2009 13:35:43 ******/

EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobstep @job_id=@jobId, @step_name=N'Delete Files',

@step_id=1,

@cmdexec_success_code=0,

@on_success_action=1,

@on_success_step_id=0,

@on_fail_action=2,

@on_fail_step_id=0,

@retry_attempts=0,

@retry_interval=0,

@os_run_priority=0, @subsystem=N'ActiveScripting',

@command=N'Option Explicit

Const filePath = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\"

main

Sub Main()

ClearArchive

End Sub

Sub ClearArchive()

Dim fso ''As Scripting.FileSystemObject

Dim fld ''As Scripting.Folder

Dim f ''As Scripting.File

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set fld = fso.GetFolder(filePath)

For Each f In fld.Files

If Right(LCase(f.Name), 4) = ".txt" Then

If DateDiff("d", f.DateCreated, Date()) > 14 Then

fso.DeleteFile f

End If

End If

Next

Set fld = Nothing

Set fso = Nothing

End Sub',

@database_name=N'VBScript',

@flags=0

EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_update_job @job_id = @jobId, @start_step_id = 1

EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobschedule @job_id=@jobId, @name=N'Daily',

@enabled=1,

@freq_type=4,

@freq_interval=1,

@freq_subday_type=1,

@freq_subday_interval=0,

@freq_relative_interval=0,

@freq_recurrence_factor=0,

@active_start_date=20090105,

@active_end_date=99991231,

@active_start_time=174500,

@active_end_time=235959

EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobserver @job_id = @jobId, @server_name = N'(local)'

COMMIT TRANSACTION

GOTO EndSave

QuitWithRollback:

IF (@@TRANCOUNT > 0) ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

EndSave:

Beth Richards
    Sybase, Oracle and MSSQL DBA

• Yes, it did delete my txt files.

Thanks, bethrich. Appreciate it.

• Ol'SureHand,

You probably have Cumulative Update 2 or higher on top of SP2. Prior to that update, the SSMS maintenance cleanup task - and the corresponding undocumented stored procedure - would not delete any job log that started with the line "NEW COMPONENT OUTPUT" (which all of my SSMS job logs contained).

• larry Hennig (2/9/2009)

Ol'SureHand,

You probably have Cumulative Update 2 or higher on top of SP2. Prior to that update, the SSMS maintenance cleanup task - and the corresponding undocumented stored procedure - would not delete any job log that started with the line "NEW COMPONENT OUTPUT" (which all of my SSMS job logs contained).

That's right, the cumulative "hotfix" is installed as below ... (time for SP3 when I can...).

Microsoft(R) Server Maintenance Utility (Unicode) Version 9.0.3259

Report was generated on "MYSrvr".

Maintenance Plan: MyDailyPlan

Duration: 02:48:56

Details:

Clean Up History (MySrvr) [msdb etc]

Cleanup history on Local server connection

History type: Backup,Job,Maintenance Plan

Task start: 2009-02-09T22:18:53.

Task end: 2009-02-09T22:18:53.

Success

MCleanupLogs (MySrvr)

Maintenance Cleanup on Local server connection

Cleanup Maintenance Plan report files

Task start: 2009-02-09T22:19:00.

Task end: 2009-02-09T22:19:00.

Success

• DBA in Unit 7 - Friday, February 6, 2009 12:05 PM

I had the same issue and modified a script found online about deleting old files, now it is in my monthly cleanup job.Execute [dbo].[usp_DeleteOldMaintenancePlanLogFiles] 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\', 30SET ANSI_NULLS ONGOSET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ONGOCREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[usp_DeleteOldMaintenancePlanLogFiles] -- 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\', 17 @basedir nvarchar(255), @days_old_to_allow int = 30--***Enable XP_CMDSHELL to make this work.***ASBEGIN SET NOCOUNT ON declare @mtime datetime declare @file nvarchar(255) declare @fullpath nvarchar(255) declare @daysold int declare @cmd nvarchar(255) CREATE TABLE #t_dir ( InLine varchar(250)) -- Get a directory listing and Insert into #t_dir SET @cmd = 'dir "' + @basedir + '" /A-D' -- /A-D, no directories INSERT INTO #t_dir EXEC master.dbo.xp_cmdshell @cmd-- Clean up unwanted rows in the table DELETE FROM #t_dir WHERE InLine like ' %' or InLine = '' or Inline IS NULL--Put the to-be-deleted filenames into cursor DECLARE c_files CURSOR FOR SELECT convert(datetime, substring(replace(replace(replace(InLine, ' ', '~'), ' ', ''), '~', ' '),1,18) ) as dtime, rtrim(substring(InLine, 40, len(InLine))) as filen, datediff(dd, convert(datetime, substring(replace(replace(replace(InLine, ' ', '~'), ' ', ''), '~', ' '),1,18) ) , getdate()) as daysold FROM #t_dir WHERE rtrim(substring(InLine, 40, len(InLine))) like '%plan%' and datediff(dd,CONVERT(datetime,substring(ltrim(rtrim(substring(InLine, 40, len(InLine)))),LEN(ltrim(rtrim(substring(InLine, 40, len(InLine)))))-17,8)),getdate())>@days_old_to_allow --Delete the files-- OPEN c_files FETCH NEXT FROM c_files INTO @mtime, @file, @daysold WHILE(@@fetch_status = 0) BEGIN SET @fullpath = @basedir + '\' + @file PRINT 'Going to delete old file: ' + @fullpath + ', daysold=' + cast(@daysold as nvarchar) SET @cmd = 'del /Q "' + @fullpath + '"' print @cmd -- no turning back now! EXEC master.dbo.xp_cmdshell @cmd, no_output FETCH NEXT FROM c_files INTO @mtime, @file, @daysold END CLOSE c_files DEALLOCATE c_files DROP TABLE #t_dirEND

Wow, you saved me thanks!

• larry Hennig - Thursday, February 5, 2009 9:43 AM

The maintenance task calls the same SP, so that is why the SP call makes no difference. The bug that prevents the delete from working is fixed in a post-SP2 cumulative update (CU 2 or higher, I think, it's in CU 10 for sure). Prior to the fix, believe it or not, the procedure read the first line of the file. If that line was "NEW COMPONENT OUTPUT", the file was not deleted and no warning or error was raised. The update removes this constraint.Hopefully, they fired the idiot who designed the original behavior.

They can't afford to as there would be no one left on the dev team.

• larry Hennig - Friday, February 6, 2009 12:33 PM

CmdShell is a huge security hole. Does anyone have an SSIS package or a .Net source code for a DLL that could be called to do this without enabling xp_CmdShell?

No Sir.  xp_CmdShell isn't a security hole, never mind a huge one.  The only people that can use it are the same people that can enable it.  If an attacker get's in with any privs other than sysadmin privs, the attacker won't be able to use xp_CmdShell.  If they get in with sysadmin privs, they can do absolutely anything they want and you having xp_CmdShell turned off will only provide a 3ms speed bump for their attack software.

xp_CmdShell is a powerful tool that you're depriving yourself of because of old wives' tales from a pre-2005 era.  Concentrate on keeping the bad guys out rather than the perpetual myth of xp_CmdShell being a security hole.

Heh... and let's stop and think about your request to do it in SSIS... that's an expansion of the very surface area that you're concerned with.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Post is 9 years old, surprised it has resurfaced, Jeff you are right. Not sure about the perception back then, seem to recall certain warnings or is my memory fading?

• HappyGeek - Saturday, January 20, 2018 8:10 AM

Post is 9 years old, surprised it has resurfaced, Jeff you are right. Not sure about the perception back then, seem to recall certain warnings or is my memory fading?

Agreed on the age of the post but someone necro'd it and the post that "saved" the recent poster involved the use of xp_CmdShell.  Some threads are just timeless so I started looking back through the thread to see what happened 9 years ago.  Sure enough, there's a post about the "security" of xp_CmdShell.  Other people may do the same as I did and read through this post and since that one post could negate the whole value of the solution that "saved" the latest poster because of an uniformed poster repeating the myth contained in an old wives' tale and I don't want a 9 year old thread to perpetuate an untrue myth, I took the time to post about xp_CmdShell not being a security issue to help try to stop the myth in the eyes of anyone that reads the thread.

To answer you latter question, yes... it was more difficult to use xp_CmdShell in a highly secure fashion before SQL Server 2005 and that is the source of the old wives' tale (they all have some basis in fact even if the facts are no longer applicable) about security issues with xp_CmdShell.  But they've carried forward over the last 15 years just due to the shear volume of "experts" and their entourage of nodders that haven't done (apparently) any research since then and the myth continues to grow through the say-so of more nodders that are trying to look intelligent on the subject.

I'm just one person and it's not likely that I can single-handedly stem the tide of seriously abusive disinformation about xp_CmdShell but I have to try.  I have done a presentation on the subject many times.  Maybe it's finally time for me to convert that presentation into an article.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply